Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

My Imagination Just Went Into Overdrive!

calpat
17 years ago

Last week when I mentioned growing Salvia I got a lot of responses of which I was delighted to get. The word "addiction" popped up in several, like really liking this plant to a point you get every type of plant that's on the market. Yesterday I got my first plants and was checking out google to make sure I planted them properly. I guess I didn't make myself very clear cause I got the following sites:

http://www.stargeek.com/growing_salvia.php

Growing Salvia Plants

http://www.salviacenter.com/library/sc_growing.php

http://www.salvia-extract.com/index.html?mv_pc=stargeek

Salvia Extract

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

I'm not sure if one of these was the first site I perused, but it started out "I'm a male stripper....."& it went on from there about how this guy smokes salvia for a high.

Curosity pervailed and I went on reading most of these "how to grow Salvia". Oh yeh, I found what I was looking for, but I'm wondering in as much as so many of you mentioned becoming addicted to salvia, did you really mean growing it or smoking it? This is certainly not meant to be judgemental, etc. Just wondered if any of you have ever mistakingly got into this sites .

Comments (7)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Actually, we get a lot of "smokers" over on the Salvia forum looking for info on growing S. divinorum. That's the one Salvia that was used for its hallucinogenic properties in divinatory rituals by the Mazatec Indians. We just tell the curious folks to basically "move along, this forum is for gardening with Salvia, not smoking it." :D

I've never tried to grow it, only because it's notorious for being difficult. It's a beautiful plant, though, from the pics I've seen.

I just grow Salvias for their ease of growth, beauty, and sometimes, the scent of their leaves, not necessarily in that order. :)

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ROFLOL.....Oh Brenda, you have no idea how much I appreciated your response. I just talked to my granddaughter & her husband and told them about my little adventure into the wrong websites. They told me to thank you too as they would hate to be notified that Grandma was in the slammer for growing "stuff"! Well I got my plants in the ground, hopefully they will all survive with this most welcomed drizzling rain we have been getting since late last night! I'm also going to check out the new nursery you spoke of on Sunset Lane. Pat

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

When we first moved here 10 years ago and I was planning the gardens I googled Salvias for info...... and got the same kind of sites you did. LOL

The addiction we all talk about is: the first Salvia leading quickly to the need for many more kinds. My "addiction" stems from the fact that nothing eats Salvia and is therefore a very desirable plant.

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Westelle, I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who makes a "google" mistake! But I have gotten it all sorted out, got all the Salvia plants planted and with this wonderful and gentle rain we're getting I have high hopes for some very beautiful blooms.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Pat, my mom informed me yesterday that Castle Mountain Gardens (20577 Lassen View Lane; phone 365-3581) is only open selected hours now! Something about being open for a Mother's Day sale. Otherwise, I think she's open by appointment. I didn't realize that when I spoke to Mom about it. Hope you didn't make the trip over there yet! :)

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda for the schedule, no I haven't been there yet but I'll be sure to call first before going! I'm trying very hard to NOT buy anymore plants as I really have enough to care for. The back yard looks a bit bare, but just have to wait now for the plants to grow and then it will be filled in just fine. Oh,oh,oh, The Jap Iris I have around the pond are blooming, I took pictures but they don't do justice to the bright blue colors. Pat

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oh, oh, oh, you have a pond, too, Pat!? That's so awesome. Do you have the Japanese irises right in the pond?

Yeah, I've been overdoing it a bit on plant buying lately. It's very hard to keep track on care for each plant, too. I actually have files on watering and fertilizing, as well as my current plant list, on my computer. I don't trust my memory. LOL

Brenda