Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

How Do You Keep Your Garden Records?

calpat
16 years ago

From time to time some of you have mentioned keeping records of your plantings. Do you use your computer programs, which ones? I have a few programs on my pc that I can't get into because they need that "key number" which they say is on the back of my machine, but it doesn't seem to want to work for me. I think most of these are sample types, but I don't know what I need for this record keeping. I do know that I don't need anything to detailed, just want to record where and when I got the plants, maybe a month to month progress in growing, what is successful and what doesn't work for me. Any suggestions? I have MS Wordpad, Works! Pat

Comments (12)

• youreit
    16 years ago

The only thing I use, Pat, is the simple notepad method on my computer. I made a folder entitled Plants, then I put folders in that with names like "Watering", "Fertilizing", "Pruning", etc. Within each of those (other than Watering), I put files named "Spring", "Summer", etc. I enter dates after each plant entry so I know when I last watered, fertilized, or pruned. I also keep all of my plant pictures in the "Plants" folder. Consolidate, that's my goal. :D

What you could do is just make files or folders (depending on how detailed you want to get) with month names, instead of general seasons, then record everything in there.

I know there must be some great programs out there, but I'm happy with my set-up. :) Also, the key number that your programs request might be the number on one of the disks that came with your PC (i.e., Windows). You might try that to see if it works.

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning Brenda! I did find in MS Works some pages titled Garden Almanac, Plant Description, Monthly Garden Calendar & Garden Photo Album. I just don't want to get so involved in this "bookkeeping", I may try your method and see how it works for me. Thank you so much for the suggestions, I really appreciate your taking the time. Pat
    p.s. went back to Lowe's, they had Asiatic Lilies, along with other bulbs at half price. Hopefully I'll get them in the ground today, it's pretty out but I do see some wind action.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

You guys are more organized than me! I've been just taking pics and noting on the pics the date and when planted:)

I've got papers on plant care I was going to put in a binder, right now they're in three wall files.

I'm caught up planting and taking a respite, I'm out of ideas and tired...I've got three more roses coming to plant in the front and going to relocate two azales from there to the back. Other than that, I'm waiting for inspiration....My 3 clematis never did take off that I planted, next time I'm going to try them in the ground. I don't grow pots well.

I was hoping for rain so I had an excuse just to veg out.

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Leslie, sounds like you really are tired, do take a few days off! I'm still looking for the "easy" way to manage what I've planted. As the planting goes on, I make notes, which get to monumental proportions, look at them, wonder what the heck I was thinking, delete them, then knock my head against a wall for having done that! Pat

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I really am tired, I dug 32 holes in the clay for roses. Each one took 3 days... Planted 13 of 18" planters, 3 ferns, 6 freesias. It doesn't really sound like much but in between this babysitting a 5 year old and mix in my headaches and yeah, I'm wiped. And, I'm babysitting tonight for the 8 year old and 5 year old:)

Here's what my backyard is now looking like these days...you saw it partially when I showed you the dragon. There are 5 trellis up along the back fence that don't all show, each has a mini climber in it that also doesn't show. The roses are too little yet. Give me a few months and this view will be looking different again.
    {{gwi:495413}}

I'd like to see some photos of your gardens, if I can bare my beginner's garden you guys can show your finished products and projects in the creating:)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Wow, Leslie! You definitely deserve a break! I'd say at least a week! LOL With the rain you received, your new plantings will be so happy. I can't wait to see those roses growing UP! :) I love your "beginner" garden!

Oh, my garden will never be finished, I think. LOL As soon as I get back home, and on my own computer, I'll post some pics of my garden, past and present. :) Mine is definitely nothing spectacular, but I like to pretend that I know what I'm doing. LOL

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holy smokes Leslie, that is one very grand garden. The roses will be going like gangbusters in a short time. But don't overdo on the work part, take a break now & then, we don't want to hear you having a burn out! At the moment I'm trying to edit and get my pix in some sort of order that others will understand, but they're coming! Pat

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Oh that's very nice Brenda and Pat:) That's about 20 daylillies lining the front between the garden area and the grass behind the different bulbs dieing out. There are 9 more roses that you can't even see behind the dragon and the redwood tree. I've still need to push some more of that walk on bark up behind the climbers to the fence and cover the clay and then get a couple loads of mulch and cover all this area. I plan to do that next weekend on payday. Most of these are the larger mini floras and floribundas and HTs showing here and yes it'll look way different in a few months and next year at this time way different. Especially once the climbers start filling in.

I'm not really done and this will be an on going process too, I think a garden is always an evolving process:) The next 3 roses arrive on Friday I hear, so I'm taking a break until then!

You just don't think you have nice gardens and I hear you talk about your plants and I don't believe a word of it! I've been yearning all fall and winter to have a small part of what you have, LOL* It'll be years before mine looks very lush. I still would enjoy pics, I love to see pics of flowers and plants.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Pat: I have a Mac, so I don't know how relevant what I do is, but I created a data base collecting the info I was/ am interested in. Some sections that are huge I have separated out into their own files... like Irises, Daylilies, Salvias and Roses.

Leslie, you're building yours up, and I'm pulling some of mine out from under plants have gotten big enough to cover them.... like the Salvias under the Manzanitas.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oh, man, I just typed a bunch of stuff in here, tried to post pics....and I got an error message! Ack!

Anyway, to make a long story short....it sure is a nice day! LOL

I'll try posting my pics again tomorrow. And I feel sore for you, Leslie. Etc., etc....*sigh*

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Brenda, welcome to my world! I've been messing with this scanner to try to enlarge and get a decent picture of what I came up with to keep track of "stuff". If I didn't really know better, I'd say there's a little gremlin in this p.c. that just has to come out and annoy the he!! out of me. Teach it a lesson and shut it down! then go have a nice glass of something cool & refreshing!I'm out of here till manana!

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!! Oh, Pat, scanners are the spawn of Satan, didn't you know? Some of them are so complicated, it takes even the most patient and knowledgeable of us to work out how to...well, scan. Cool and refreshing sounds so good right now (7am...hmmm, maybe more coffee...).

Brenda