Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Blowing Wind

lesdvs9
17 years ago

Anyone else tired of the wind blowing??? I was going to plant this evening but the wind is blowing all the soil in my face and blowing all the plants in containers away! I had to batten down the hatches and give up. I am used to this kicking up a lot of afternoons in the mtns but not here in the valley. This has been more windy than breezy for more than a week now. I know plants are resilient but I've got a lot of immature ones, first freezes and now winds! Everything is whipping, new trees, 4 foot tall butterfly bushes, new rose canes....I've got a hummingbird motion sculpture that wants to take off:) My 4' long wind chimes, I've got one set on each side of the house are ringing like crazy...They're so heavy it takes a good stiff breeze or this wind to set them off at all.

Leslie

Comments (5)

• calpat
    17 years ago

We've had wind all day too, Leslie. I wanted to get the front hedges trimmed, but not with branches whipping around my head. I found two of my new Dahlias are just poking thru the soil, so that made my day! I had to tie down my big wind chimes early as they would make everyone crazy. Roses are blooming great, but afraid this wind will tear them up too. Oh well, better than ice storms, tornadoes, etc. LOL....Pat

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oh, man, I HATE the wind we get here! Yesterday was so brutal. It's pretty flat around this area, with a lot of farm land, so we don't have much protection, especially when it comes from the west or the north. I worry most about my potted plants, as well as the ones recently purchased that haven't been planted yet.

The wind blew all of the finches' thistle out of their feeder! LOL I had to stick to ground feeding until I can get out there this morning.

I told DH yesterday, "Can we move somewhere with NO wind? Please?" LOL

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm about 40 min south of Fresno, it's pretty flat here too Brenda. I had to anchor down the little potted plants, they were blowing around the yard, I had 9 of them to be planted. Even a 6" pot was blown off! I had to add some ties to one of the young trees to keep it anchored to the stake. Too bad it didn't blow the grasshoppers out of my yard! Maybe we'll get the rain they're forcasting and it'll drown the suckers.

The wind blew off some of my blooms from the roses Pat and whipped some of them that are out in the yards. I'm glad you held off on trimming your bushes. Today is better to do that! Great on your dahlias! I'm still waiting to see if I'm going to get the 3 clematis I planted or not, kind of think not by now....First time I ever planted something and it didn't grow. I agree about at least it's not ice storms, tornados or the rain they're getting and snow elsewhere. That's terrible.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

We are having all the trees around the house professionally trimmed this week. The guys up in the trees vacated those pretty quickly yesterday when the winds came up. And, it's gotten so cold. Strange weather.

• calpat
    17 years ago

Weather reports that we should have rain thru this weekend, but it drizzles for a bit, then the wind comes up. Very strange, but then another strange thing happened. My DD came by with her wagon to take me to Lowe's for potting soil and manure. It was drizzling then, got what I went for, walked back to her car, got in..."Mom I can't believe you, this is the first time I've ever seen you come out of a nursery without at least 1 plant". I couldn't believe it either and all afternoon now I've had this feeling, lol, like maybe I'll go back tomarrow and really look and see what I didn't buy today! That is if it isn't blowing, raining or something else that might be uncomfortable. Pat