Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Is the whole state burned?

calpat
15 years ago

I haven't been able to leave my house as the air is so bad I can't breathe and it's hot too! About 5 p.m. today, t.v. announced a critical warning that some areas up around Shasta were being evacuated as right then! This is really scarey! I guess the whole state is in a very critical state, to bad we can't get some of those flood waters from midwest to extinguish the flames.

Comments (9)

• youreit
    15 years ago

I read that as of last evening, Pat, there were at least 800 fires burning in CA. I know you guys have some of the worst air quality up there, thanks to not only all of the fires concentrated in that region, but also the "bowl effect" you guys have going on up there - mountains on all but the south side.

As a comparison, the general visibility here in the Sac area is currently 5 miles. At the Redding airport, it's 1.25 miles as of now. The only GOOD thing about the smoke is that it's keeping the temps lower than usual. I think I'd rather have clear air, though.

Stay safe, Pat!!

Brenda

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

It is really smoky here in Orland. There are fires to the east and west of us. We are sitting in the middle. We sure could use a good wind to blow it all out of the Valley. But wind would make the fires worse. I can't do anything in the gardens other then turn on my drip hoses. I have them on timers so they turn off by them selfs. I do have to get out there to hand water the container plants.

Our church is having Vacation Bible School all this week and I am seeing how some of the kids are having a tough time breathing. We have moved all activities indoors with recreation in the sanctuary. No activities with running.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

We are getting a lot of smoke. Our eyes itch and DH has had to resort to allergy medication..... I take mine 365 here in CA.

Today we couldn't even see the foothills much less the mountains when we were coming home from town... we live in the foothills outside of Clovis.

• youreit
    15 years ago

Yesterday was some of the worst air I've seen yet down here north of Sac! It's so miserable, because it's not really hot enough to close the windows and turn on the a/c (on recirculate, of course...:D). But if we leave the windows open, it's SO smokey.

I notice that Redding got a bit of relief yesterday - the smoke blew out on a NNW wind, and they were back to 10 miles of visibility, then the temps went up. It was 100F at 7pm at the Redding airport yesterday. The smoke is back this morning, it appears. I really feel bad for all of you who have asthma or any other health issue affected by this!

Brenda

• redblossom40
    15 years ago

Here's a great site that has alot of infor on the fires still burning. I have been working in Truckee and the smoke going up
    80 has been bad too.

Tamara

Here is a link that might be useful: Cal fires

• youreit
    15 years ago

That IS a great site, Tamara! I've bookmarked it. I also frequently reference the CAL FIRE site.

With the upcoming heat and stagnant air, the smoke is supposedly going to filter down here into the valley this next week. We've been so lucky to have relatively healthy air for about the last week, so I'm not looking forward to the smoke returning.

Stay safe up there!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: CAL FIRE Home

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

We have had lots of smoke here. It's going to be about 112-115 today and the poor firefighters are out with their heavy fire-suits and backpacks. The wind we are having today has stirred up the fire again and they are evacuating parts of Paradise again. I am glad we don't live up there.

donna

• youreit
    15 years ago

I just read that 40 homes in Butte Co. (Concow area?) were lost yesterday. My heart just breaks for those poor people.

Brenda

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

We are getting some of the evacuated people visiting here in Orland. Some of them were told to pack one bag and get out quick. They don't know if they will have a home when they get back. Our whole town is praying for them.
    Donna

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!