Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

6/23/07 shopping trip with Mom

youreit
16 years ago

I can't believe it, but I only got FOUR plants! LOL Mom got at least double, but many of hers were from the $1 (yes, ONE dollar!) area. She got a Ceanothus for one buck...incredible!

Ok, here's what I got! I already have plans where these plants will go in my yard, but I'd love to hear about any personal experience with these!

Sarcococca ruscifolia (sweet box), Campsis x tagliabuana 'Mme Galen' (trumpet creeper), Macfadyena unguis-cati (cat's claw), and Lantana 'Radiation'.

Mom also brought me a Lamium maculatum 'Beacon Silver' (spotted nettle), Stachys byzantina (lamb's ears), and the crowning glory of all plants I've ever received (since I've ALWAYS wanted one), a Cercis occidentalis (western redbud) seedling, right out of their yard!!

I gave Mom a couple things I bought last time, since they just aren't appropriate for my yard - Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans' (plume cedar - beautiful, but eventually too big!) and Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' (Japanese maple...only paid $6!). I also gave her a couple 'Autumn Beauty' sunflower seedlings I started.

I got everything I planned to buy, except a Centranthus ruber (Jupiter's beard), which I've always wanted. I didn't see it there, and I forgot to ask about it!

Brenda

Comments (6)

• calpat
    16 years ago

My gosh Brenda, you're getting me out of breath here. So glad that you had such a good time though, especially since you both enjoy the same things. "Lookie, lookie Brenda, another of your favorites"...."I see it, oh yes, I must have that one"...Brenda, I've really got to learn to draw cartoons, the imagination is going nutso and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Pat

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

WOW! Talk about will power or was it that it is a little hot to plant??:) Well, right now you've got a break...All I know is the Radiation Lantana, that is really pretty. I got one of 7 different colors/varieties last summer, only a few came back through from the freeze. More might have but I thought they were dead, my excuse, I pulled them and planted climbers there and other roses. Then as the sprinklers sweep the yard were there was only dirt, up popped the lantana I had forgotten was there. So, maybe they all would have come back if I had left them.

I only have 3 plants. I have them at the fence line for colorful ground cover between the climbers and large roses.

You've got some work ahead of you to do then or did you do it yesterday:) I've been busy with grandkids and puppy sitting....

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You've got it, Pat - I always feel out of breath when Mom and I go plant shopping. Or when I'm showing her the plants in my yard. She's the one who got me started in gardening, and when I'm able to impress her just a little, I'm happy. :)

It was a little bit of willpower, Leslie, a little bit of knowing it's the wrong time to plant (NO natives for me this time! I'm waiting until FALL!! LOL)....but mostly, I'm broke. LOL DH and I have an anniversary trip planned to Reno on the 4th, so we're TRYING to save for gambling money. :D "Baby needs some new plants!" LOL

I'll definitely remember that about the Lantana! I used to have one, and it languished. Then a gopher dug all around the base of it....then the freezing temps this year. I had 2 blooms last year...and it never returned. I'm going to protect the heck out of this one, because I saw one at the post office one year here in Knights Landing, and it was gorgeous!

Plus, that beautiful orange goes SO well with all of my purplish/bluish/silver things!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I have no idea which Lantana this one is but when the others started growing, I started watering this spot and up this one popped:)
    {{gwi:495739}}
    I'd like to go to Tahoe in Sept, I love to play roulette:)

I like oranges with purples too, never thought I would but it really does look good.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow!!! That one's really pretty, Leslie! I love all of the colors on it. Mine has red/orange/yellow, none of that hot pink.

My other Lantanas (montevidesis - trailing kind with lavender flowers) have put up with a lot of abuse from me over the years, but they keep returning. Interesting that the gophers don't mess with those.

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I think this one is Confetti, but not real sure. I had lavender but they either didn't come back or they were the ones I pulled the dead out and threw away. I've eyed the dark purple verbena, I want that really bad:)

No gopher would poke his head up long in my yard, LOL*