Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Tried To Outsmart Weather..Didn't Work !

calpat
17 years ago

I don't function in heat to well, so thought I would work with it instead. No way...I've only lived in Redding for 6 years and every Mothers'Day has been the start of increasing heat as in 98 plus degrees. This year I decided to down size my gardens, only perennials, looked a little bare but that was o.k. A lot less maintenance, now, during the heat I would be inside practicing music, finishing up some oil paintings,playing with crafts, redecorating L.R., baths & bedroom.

So what's happening....this has been the most enjoyable early summer ever. Mild temps, afternoon/evening lite rain & an inside of house that is torn up from one end to the other. Go figure! SOoooo, how's your summer started??? Pat

Comments (7)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oh, Pat! My mom called me the other day from Redding and said, "Help me!" Haha! I guess the rain was REALLY coming down up there, because I could hear it over the phone.

My dad went outside while Mom was on the phone with me, and he started moving potted plants to the shelter of the front porch. (Normally, he tunes out when Mom and I have one of our infamous, 2-hour plant chats.) Mom said, "What are you doing?" He said, "In case the hail starts, I want to save your plants, dear." Awwww!

I LOVE the weather so far this year! It's not so bad when I see that tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be into the upper 90s, because we'll soon have a cool down after that. Much easier to deal with, to be sure, since I'm not a heat-tolerant person, either! :)

Enjoy!

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I too have been enjoying the cooler weather... the heat has now arrived and, I imagine, will stay all summer. I will stay inside.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yes, and I blame the arrival of the heat on my post above. WHY did I have to open my big mouth!? LOL

106 by Saturday....oy vey!!

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda, you just gave me my laugh of the day and oh boy did I need it! And Westelle, welcome to my world of hibernation!
    I think we all forgot "Don't fool around with Mother Nature"& I have no excuse. I've entered my 80th year & I really thought I knew better than mess around. On humorous note, maybe that's why I go on and on! Giving Mom Nature a good laugh!

• jenn
    17 years ago

Pat, I think you hit it on the nose -- gardening is one of the best exercises and healthiest activities there is.

Brenda - thanks a lot! :-)

The best thing about hot summer is that cool fall is not far behind.......... hang in there everyone -- drink lots of water, protect yourself from the sun, don't garden in the heat (like I did twice and thought I was going to die), and water your plants in the cool of the morning if possible.

• youreit
    17 years ago

So true about the watering, Jen! I see people watering their lawns at 2pm or 3pm on a 96+ degree day, and I just want to scream.

My neighbors may think I'm a weirdo when they see me out at 5:30am deadheading and watering the few potted plants I keep, but the feeling is mutual when I see them mowing/watering/adjusting sprinklers in the heat of the day.

I almost hate to say this (see bad luck above), but I'm just REALLY glad that we don't have the wildfires like poor Nevada!

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

We avoided the heat for a few days by going to Cambria where it was 68º and foggy.

Last night I did some weeding near dusk, not too bad.