Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

B L T anyone!?!

calpat
16 years ago

Just happened to see a smidgen of red on the tomatoe bushes &sure enough I got 4 beautiful red Roma maters. Couldn't hardly wait for lunchtime to have that first BLT of the season. Well let me say this...the bread, mayo, bacon, lettuce were delicious, the tomatoes had absolutely no taste at all, I mean no taste! The bushes are loaded, so maybe as they mature, flavor will be coming or am I whistling Dixie?

Comments (13)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Well, dang it! I hope your tomatoes get a flavor boost soon, Pat! I've had some of the locally grown tomatoes (Romas) from the fields around here, and they sometimes don't have much taste, either. Not sure why. BLTs have to be one of the best sammiches on earth!

My dad is playing farmer this year. Mom reports that he has a nice crop going of cucumbers, tomatoes (hopefully!), watermelon, cantaloupe....I'm sure I'm missing something. I asked Mom to please save some for her favorite (ok, only...LOL) daughter! :)

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

We had BCT on a Tortilla.... Basil, Cheese and Tomato..... for lunch. I've been getting ripe tomatoes for a week now.... so good.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Gee Pat that's too bad. Nothing like expecting a mouth watering BLT and no taste on the "T".
    DH has one tomato plant growing out there with some green ones on it, don't know what he has? He has a green pepper plant he already ate one and pronounced it good and a strawberry plant he's been eating the berries from:)
    Leslie

• youreit
    16 years ago

Bell peppers (thanks, Leslie!), that's another one Farmer Dad is growing! LOL Mom says they've already had one or 2, and they're delicious. My mouth is watering (thanks, Westelle! :D)! I'm thinking of slices of moist, springy mozzarella with slabs of tomato...drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with basil and/or oregano. *sob* LOL

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Oh, Brenda, I LOVE this salad.... only I need a drizzle of balsamic vinegar too.

• Mikey
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried fried green tomatoes? I made them last year for the first tome and this thread reminded me of how good they were. I think I'll make up some more since most of my toms are still green. - Mike

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Mikey, I've tried fried green tomatoes and I don't think I'm doing something right cause they just didn't impress me to much. How about sharing your preparation of them with us, please, please, please. It's got to be me, not knowing what I'm doing! Of course I'm still hoping that the tomatoes I have will ripen up with a good flavor!

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oh, man. I'd never heard of fried green tomatoes until the movie came out. My mom made up a batch back then, and it was delicious! I haven't had any in years, though! From what I remember, she just used the same recipe she'd use for fried zucchini - I think she dipped them in egg, then dredged in flour with some salt and pepper, maybe some ground up crackers. Cripes, I'm going to have to call and get that recipe now. LOL

Thanks for making me drool, Mike! :D

Brenda

Balsamic vinegar! I KNEW I was forgetting something, Westelle! LOL

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, be sure to call your Mom for that recipe!
    Westelle, Balsamic is the greatest. I had some in Portugual that had been aged, the lady served about a tablespoon of it over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. That is when I found out that buying aged Balsalmic is as intrigate as buying fine wine. My niece cooks her "B" down till it is a thick sauce, it's o.k. but it turns out to be just that, boiled down vinegar!

• youreit
    16 years ago

Pat, I asked Mom today, and...bad memories run in the family. LOL She figures she must have dipped the slices in flour first, then into an egg and milk mixture, then into either some flour and salt & pepper, cracker crumbs, or a mixture of both. She's sure she fried them in veggie oil or equivalent...but can you imagine using bacon grease? Oh, MY! I'm having chest pains just thinking about it, but I'd love to try them like that once. LOL

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda....there are a lot of things in southern cooking that I like, but nothing that I can't live without, so I think I'll by-pass the fried green tomatoes! I just want a BLT NOW!

• Mikey
    16 years ago

Here's the recipe I use for Fried Green Tomatoes.

Fried Green Tomatoes Parmesan

3 medium green tomatoes, sliced
    1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    Salt

1.(This is an important step--do not skip)
    Lightly sprinkle both sides of green tomato slices with salt (not the garlic salt); drain on paper towels for 30-60 minutes or I use a wire rack for them to drain from. You may have to change out the paper towels if they get too saturated. Blot all excess liquid from the tomato slices with paper towels.
    2. Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, grated Parmesan cheese, flour, garlic salt, oregano, black pepper in a shallow dish.
    3. Dip each tomato slice into the beaten egg, then into the cornmeal mixture.
    4. In a medium skillet, heat oil over med-high heat.
    5. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
    6. Drain on a paper towel-lined wire rack.
    7. Serve immediately with or without dipping sauce such as Ranch dressing.

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Mikey, your recipe sounds pretty much like what I use in preparing egg plant...o.k. I'm going to give it a try, thanks for sharing.Pat