Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

This Harvest

CA Kate z9
15 years ago

This is a sample of what I'm picking every two days: Black Raspberries and Apriums. Can one get too much of these fruits? I'm seriously thinking about making some jams.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:496072}}

Comments (7)

• calpat
    15 years ago

Hi there busy lady! That fruit looks super delicious,so NO, you can never get to much fresh, home grown fruit.Been meaning to ask if you ever got any olives cured, if so how did they turn out? And....how is retirement going? Pat

• youreit
    15 years ago

Yummy!!! I really miss the warm, delicious freestone peaches we would eat right off the tree...back when we had a peach tree. Nothing can beat fresh!

I'm salivating over the black raspberries...

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today I picked 11 cups of wild apricots. I will make them into jam. I LOVE this time of year.

Pat: I made several different recipes, and while all are OK none are what I was really looking for... to make it worth all the work. This Fall, assuming there are enough olives, I am going to make sure I get a supply of lye before it's all gone... like last year. I want to try that method before I give up hope. Do you want your book back?

Retirement is beginning to work a bit better. I think I've finally gotten across that I still have all my work to do..... since I'm NOT retired, and can't always be helping him with whatever project he's doing.

We are seeing a lot of movies during the day... several good ones out right now.

• calpat
    15 years ago

Goodness NO! Keep the book or pass it on to someone else!
    I'm trying hard to down-size on everything...have many garden books(outdoor & indoor plants)hate to toss out, but no takers as of now! If anyone wants them, all I ask is for them to pay postage.
    Retirement jiggles sound like everyone is getting settled in, it does sometimes take some serious conversation, but generally smoothes out quickly.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have you tried donating your books to the local library? They'll either shelve them or put them out for sale at a fund raiser.

I too am trying to get rid of lots of books... and "stuff". Unfortunately the library isn't too keen on taking my gardening and cooking magazines that I've been saving, some for over 25 years. I guess they will end up going to the re-cycler. I never use these anymore... it's too easy to just google for the answer.... which is frequently more up-to-date than what are occupying my shelves.

• Mikey
    15 years ago

I'm envious of your berries.... I find them difficult to grow here because I can't keep them moist enough in my sandy soil. And to think that Knotts Berry Farm is just a few miles away..... sigh..........

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mikey: This is why I grow my two crowns in a 8'L x 2'w x 3' d stock tank filled with proper soil and sufficient water.