Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Did Everyone Get Home Safely & Happy?!?

calpat
16 years ago

I watered a bit in the a.m. then spent the rest of the day inside watching the thermometer in patio going up & up! When it got to 112, I quit watching and took a nap!Now it's time for everyone to check in just to make sure we're not missing anyone!! And how was your holiday? PaT

Westelle: did you get to enjoy your Artichokes? Since they are not my favorite veggie, I let mine go to bloom and they are gorgeous, but didn't plant them this season.

Comments (5)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Hi Pat, we had a nice time at my folks. First time in a long while we've been over at the coast it's been in the 80's and came home on the 4th to find it 104 here in the valley. It was quite a sight to see all the sand rising from the dunes at Pismo from all the campers running around with their vehicles and quads reaching the marine layer off the ocean from a distance.

I'm puppy sitting for the next 4 days, it's pretty miserable taking him outside and trying to convince him to "go" in the heat. Have more grandkids coming to visit next week for a week along with the regular grandkids. SIL is visiting for a week too right now.

Glad you had a nice 4th, Pat.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Some of my family is still here, but everyone else is gone. WHEW! I do love my grandkids, but when all of them get chasing and screaming (with joy) it can get a little unraveling. Only the two boys are left and their spats are brief.

Pat: I'm at a lose as to your reference about the artichokes ---- my brain must still be on cooking and cleaning from yet another meal. (We're going for CHinese for lunch.)
    I have had a bad experience with a can of artichoke hearts bursting open with black juice going everywhere. So, I bought another can and when I got it home I discovered that this new can was in the same condition as the last.... it's going back un-opened.

I made two recipes that were really good; if you want to know who submitted them you'll have to go to Summer Favorites on the cooking forum:

White Corn Salad

2c frozen shoepeg white corn
    3/4c chopped roma tomato
    1/2 c chopped cucumber
    2T chopped green bell pepper
    3T white wine vinegar (I used Rice Vinegar and think I will again.)
    1-1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced

Combine vegetables in bowl, toss. Combine remaining ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Pour over corn mixture and toss well. (Let it sit out until supper so the corn thaws... I guess about an hour; if longer then refrigerate.)
    Serves 4

Orzo Summer Salad

1 box orzo pasta
    1 large red onion, chopped
    1 green pepper; chopped
    1 yellow pepper; chopped
    1 can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
    1 container grape tomatoes; halved
    1 cup (+ /-) feta cheese; cut into small cubes
    1 cup mixed fresh olives; coarsely chopped
    1/2 bottle Paul Newman Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing

Cook pasta; rinse with cold water; drain and toss with 1/2 the salad dressing. Add all other ingredients except feta cheese. Add remaining salad dressing and then toss in feta cheese. Serve cold.
    ( makes more than 8 cups of Orzo + ingrediants; BIG salad for company.)

Note: I grilled some chicken breasts, sliced them and served them along side this salad. We thought it would be good with just about anything grilled; or maybe even sausage.

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Westell;I must be dreaming, thought I saw a posting from you, but my mistake....but that corn salad recipe sounds intriguing, thanks for sharing and glad your holiday with family was/is a happy one.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Yummy for my tummy! :) Thanks for the recipes, Westelle! Glad you might be getting some peace and quiet now, too. :D

Leslie, I've been dreaming of fog and the coast! I can't imagine having to go out in the heat for anything, let alone to answer the call of nature. :D That little puppy is going to be calling you Mom soon.

We had a GREAT time in Reno! Didn't win, but who cares when you're with family? We watched the fireworks from the windows in our room - north from the park in Reno and east from John Ascuaga's Nugget - and partied hardy until late (normal bedtime is 8am at the latest for me...LOL). And the buffet in the El Dorado is to DIE for. :D

Stay cool, ladies!

Brenda

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oh, my goodness! I must have had a lack-of-sleep hangover! I meant 8pm is my normal bedtime! LOL Ahhh, good times. :D

Brenda