Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Kermit Says That Green Is Good.....

Mikey
15 years ago

and so do I....

I'm not a fan of red tomatoes except in salsas and on burgers. I pick them out of salads..... However, green tomatoes...oh my!

The fetching Mrs. Mikey likes tomatoes both red and green and thus she wasn't disappointed when I picked these green tomatoes for frying....

{{gwi:496169}}

Sliced, salted and allowed to drain for a couple of hours:

{{gwi:496170}}

Then battered and into the frying pan...

{{gwi:496172}}

Now that's the way to eat a tomato....

Comments (7)

• calpat
    15 years ago

Hey Mikey, those do look very good, but I still haven't developed the taste for fried green tomatoes. Did you happen to persue my post about growing tomatoes in pots/containers. Would appreciate your opinion and any helpful hints. Pat

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Mikey: those look terrific... I just may need to pick one of my big, pink-tinged toms for supper tonight. Yum!

Pat: I'm not Mikey, but, out of gopher-necessity, I grow all my veggies in containers.

{{gwi:496174}}

If you look at teh middle bottom you can just see a potion of the galvanized stock tank I grow the big ones in... with the 2 Zuchinni plants in pots in front.

{{gwi:496176}}

These are the Ace Toms getting ripe in the heat.

On the other side of this same container is an Early Girl who is already 7' tall.

They get fresh compost-filled-up every spring, and watered with liquid fertilizer regularly.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pat: I'm sorry but I'm not certain what thread you are referring to. I did plant one "cherry tomato" in a pot this year only because I had no room elsewhere in my very small veggie garden. I don't like using pots because I consider them high maintenance. I put my cherry tomato in quotes above because the cherry tomatoes on the plant are about 3" in diameter.... Pretty big cherries LOL...

• youreit
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm salivating!!! I LOVE fried green tomatoes! What do you use for batter, Mikey? Egg, flour, water? I forgot the part about letting them drain first, too. :D

I'm keeping notes on container veggie gardening for future use. At least for tomatoes. Yum!

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Mikey: I did make Fried Green tomatoes for my supper. Thank you for the inspiration.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This time I used 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 Tbl flour, 3/4 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp dried oregano and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Dipped slices in egg batter then into the above mix & into the frying pan....

Any other recommendations for a batter mixture?

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

I just used the Pepper Melangé (from a GW recipe), and egg wash, and well-crushed cracker crumbs -- altho' I have used panko too, fried in butter.