Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

One Eye Open,One Eye Closed

calpat
15 years ago

Wow did I get a rude awakening! After an appt. I needed to do some grocery shopping. I had my list which I soon had to scratch off some items. I hadn't been shopping for a few weeks, so this was a real eye opener. I wasn't really prepared to pay $4.50 for a pint size jar of strawberry jam. All I could think about at that moment was Westelle preparing all the goodies she had grown. When it was all said and done, I had closed my eyes to the price & got what was on the list. Well,a new awareness is now in effect. With the tomato scare going on it might be a good idea to put in a few plants, however I now have a few weeds taller than me that will have to go.It's time to get the "blessed children" down to help out, but it's so bloody hot out there, I just haven't the heart to ask them. I could put some plants into some large pots that I have, don't know how well they would do in pots. Anyone had experience with this?

Comments (8)

• youreit
    15 years ago

I agree, Pat - the prices are insane!! We've really had to cut back on most things, including fuel, and I'm almost dreading the time when DH returns to work and has to drive every day! I kicked him when he bought the BIG Dodge diesel pickup a few years back, and I'm kicking him harder now. :D Luckily, we also have a little Plymouth Neon which he'll probably need to use during the week. Wish we could afford a hybrid or a (species...LOL) electric car.

I have no idea about veggies in pots, but I'm sure Westelle does! Hang in there, and try to stay cool, Pat!

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not to long ago I always"topped" off the tank on my '95 Nissan Sentra and got extremely good mileage. I also used to only buy american, as so many others have done.But times change and I'm a survivor so I go with what is affordable for me.
    Hey Brenda, how is you mouth feeling now, hopefully the pain has subsided. One nice thing about PC's, you really only need to watch your typing fingers :) take good care! Pat

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Pat: see my message in Mikey's thread. I think Fertilizer is the key to plants in pots.

I am sooooo glad I bought myself a Prius this past Feb. I probably couldn't get one right now for any price. What I can't believe is how much dairy has gone up. The veggies I expected because the farmers around here have had to choose whether to water the years-old fruit & nut trees or this year's veggie crops... it's a no-brainer.

• calpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Westelle, thanks for the info. I do have several large pots and a galvanized tub that's about 3 feet across. Guess I could punch holes in the bottom of it and then get at least two tomato plants in it. I'll play around with what I've got before I go buying any plants,. thanks again. Pat

• youreit
    15 years ago

My mouth is doing MUCH better, Pat! Thanks for asking! I'm going in today to have the stitches removed. Yippee! The bone graft tooth is still the most tender, and I sure miss biting with my front teeth. :)

I would LOVE to have a Prius! And cheap dairy. :D Two gallons of milk at Food 4 Less is $5-something, and I've convinced myself that's cheap. Same with fuel. "Wow, it's only $4.39 at THIS station!" What am I SAYING?! LOL

Brenda

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

With my two teenage granddaughters, we can't cut back much. I have been cutting back on my driving a lot. I used to drop the girls off in town, come home and then drive back to pick them up. Now I find something to do in town so that I don't drive back and forth. Keeping them filled up is tough. We don't eat any junk food. If they want a snack, they get carrot sticks, fruit or graham crackers. If they want cookies, they have to make them themselves.
    Donna

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Pat: my galvanized stock tanks actually have a drainage plug-hole.... I just removed the plug. Having said that: mine have been in use for 10 years so I imagine that the bottom is all rusted out. ;-D

I know what you mean, Donna. We also live "out-of-town" and so make sure I make one trip for everything.

• youreit
    15 years ago

We're in a rural area, as well. A lot of consolidated trips for us. In fact, I've been wanting to escape this miserable heat and smoke, but we can't even afford to take a trip to the coast! (Highs in the 60s at Dillon Beach...AHHHH!) Wish we could move there and be done with it. :D

Brenda