Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Only Two More Hot Months....

calpat
16 years ago

maybe only one, Sept. is always a bit "iffy". I didn't think there was any life without "putzin'" around in the garden, but yes there is! Since it's been to bloody hot to be outside I've taken one room at a time in my home to get organized. Oh yeh, been watching HGTV Organizers too! My major project was re-freshening my bedroom, so got some good painters that repainted my bathroom & bedroom, installed some crown molding and got new bed linens & valances for windows. As soon as I find out whats wrong with my camera I'll try to post pictures. The wall color is a soft grey-blue, got the carpet cleaned which is blue also, then painted all the furniture, including pix frames with black satin paint. It's kinda oriental looking, so I accented it with a deep cherry red bedspread. Then I went on to re-organize my painting studio, then the computer room, clear out to the Dining Room which is really my inside garden room. Looking at the kitchen now to see if I can bang out a couple of cupboards to make a walk-in pantry.

This house is going to be so neat, organized and clean I may have to take a vacation just to keep it that way. Well, it's not gardening as I would like, but at least I'm doing something constructive. I read your posts, look at your pictures and continue to hope that soon I'll be out there digging holes with you all, oh yeh, I found my box full of Ranacula bulbs that will get planted when it cools down. Hugs to you all.....Pat

Comments (10)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Holy cow Pat! You've been an energizing busy little bee! That sounds really beautiful all put together the way you've described that. It makes it feel like a new home and I bet everything likes very inviting and now you want to go to bed, LOL*

I remember about idle hands and the devil:)

I haven't been doing a whole lot outside other than giving some extra water to some roses, squishing budworms, watching the toads 'meet & confer' they're good for a few laughs, pull a few weeds as I go along the front of the large garden and squirt the bedding verbena every day. How's that for a run on sentence, LOL*

I have had grandkids and a SIL visiting me and staying with me almost non stop since June. My Mom and Dad will be here next Fri. The kids have worn me out... I had two grandkids staying non stop for a solid month until last Wed. one after another.

No, I haven't had any time to be digging any holes, *laughing* were it even cool enough.

The kids here start school on Thurs but it's bad. The 5 year old, Courtney can't go in the am Kindergarten. So the 9 year old, Brian goes to school at 8, Courtney goes at noon, then Brian is picked up at 2 and Courtney is picked up at 3pm. Oh sorry but we can't do anything about putting her in a morning class just because it's inconvenient for you. Oh you and your exwife work?? It's your problem to figure out a way to get your kids to school and get them picked up 4 different times each day. Am I ticked off?? You bet because guess who will be doing this 3 or 4 times a week..... My ex-DIL put them in school across town, grandboy used to go right around the corner which would not have been as big a deal.

Sorry I had to vent and I'll take that hug Pat!!!
    Les

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Leslie, you got hugs up a gumpstump on their way right now! Just seems to me that school schedules are really messed up. Picture this...sitting in my office, tapping my pencil, yawning, "O.K. guess it's time to screw up every parents schedule,....." The lady across the street from me has two kids, 11 & 13, she finally got so frustrated with different schedules, etc. she took them out of public school and does the home teaching thing. Both kids have improved their learning skills, improved their grades & are a whole lot easier to live with. Don't know that it works for everyone, but it is an option that might be worth looking into.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Thanks Pat I needed that:)
    Nope wouldn't work, to home school them it'd be full time at my house. I love them but would not want them here full time, they're like puppies, tumbling over each other and then biting. Mom and Dad switch off, they stay 2 days at one house and then switch off two days at the other and then 3 days one weekend at the other parents every week. Home schooling wouldn't be consistant because neither parent is home during the day, it'd be evening school and grandma all day long, me. I've VERY pleased to see school start, I'm tired of babysitting. I want to go back to being the fun grandma, not primary caregiver. My son went and talked to the principal and they put grandgirl at the top of the list if someone doesn't show for morning class, they said anyways.. Which will make grandgirl unhappy to get settled in one class and switch. She's very shy with adults and kids until she gets to know you. She will not talk at all to strangers. First day will be very interesting.

With my headaches homeschool would not work for me to even want to try out were I willing and my husband would put his foot down. He thinks the kids take took much advantage of me now. Good idea though, thanks, never know.

Thanks again for hugs, hugs back and have a nice afternoon. The morning was nice and cool here:) Not for long I'm afraid, I enjoyed it while it lasted.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Ugh, Leslie!!! I remember when (oh, yeah, the OLD days! LOL) the bus would pick you up in the morning, and drop you off in the afternoon, Sept.-June. I also remember the first time there were no buses at one Jr. High School I attended. Panic time for my folks! There just is no excuse, as state-run, and tax payer-funded, institutions, for this type of thing to happen! I could really get going on this, but...I shall simply sympathize with you, Leslie, and hope you get some serious relief soon! :)

Pat, your decorating choices sound VERY much like my mom's! Her inside walls are a soft grey-blue color, and she tends toward the Asian look, too! Your bedroom sounds so soothing....which is what you need after all of your hard work! LOL

Did you ladies get any of that cool-down weather we had on the 5th-7th? It was 83 here on Sun. & Tues., with a very welcome 75F on Monday! We were actually cold when it got down to 52 & 53 on Tues. and Wed. mornings! But, you didn't hear ME complaining. LOL

Hope we get a wonderfully cool and WET autumn this year! I'm SO ready.

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I remember walking to school....:)

Yes, I got that cooler weather and enjoyed it very much!! Too short but unbelievable in July, especially remembering last year at the same time!! I got to open the house at night for the first time in like a month. I hope it helps on the elec bill a little.

I am not ready for winter yet but I'm tired of the 100's, 90's even are too warm if it'd just cool off at night. I'm ready for cooler heat:)

I'm with you hoping the drought conditions will be broken this fall though.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I walked to school... parents had to pay for you to ride the school bus. I was probably the healthiest kid in school.

I have sooo much to do, but even the mornings have gotten hot quickly. I've lost quite a few of the older shrubs, and they need to be taken out. It would be helpful if DH would chain-saw them away for me. I also have huge ground roses that need to be heavily pruned; I need armor for that!

Last week was fairly cool, by Fresno Summer standards, but I decided to go visit the grands down in Woodland Hills. We went to the beach one day with DD's friends and had a great time.

I too have been doing inside work.... like cleaning out cupboards and closets. I also bought the supplies to make a sort-of back-strap loom. Every time I find really nice yarn I always think in terms of weaving with it when I'm suppose to be thinking about crocheting. (I was a weaver for several years when we lived in Wisconsin.) Anyway, I'm going to try weaving a table runner that will properly fit my dining room table.... and then there's the sideboard......

I'm hoping for early rain and a wet winter too.

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Westelle, do you have any pictures of your weaving projects? I knew a lady years ago that was a weaver, I was so impressed, but I didn't know for a long time the amount of work, skill, patience that this craft took. She used a lot of fine textured yarns like silk and made cloth by the yard that sold for price clear out of this world. What impressed me too, was that she never really took on an order, she always said it shut down all the creative juices when she tried to make what someone else wanted. Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on so, but weaving is another artform that we don't hear to much about anymore and it's so beautiful. Hope to see some of your work soon. Pat

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

When we lived in Wisconsin in the 80's I used a 12-Harness loom that a friend was no longer using. When we moved to Connecticut in '89 she wouldn't sell me the loom, so I had to give it back. I haven't done any weaving since. You need a large free area for a large loom, something I haven't had.

I always look at yarns with the "eye" of a weaver not a crocheter. I still have some wonderful yarns that I bought when I was weaving. Last Fall I bought some beautiful homespun/dyed yarn on a trip to Virginia totally with weaving in mind. I too would never do commissions for the same reasons.

I don't have any photos of my past work... I usually gave items away as gifts. When I get the runner made I'll post a pic.

• youreit
    16 years ago

That has always fascinated me, the patience (that I clearly lack) to create some truly amazing things! Any shows that I've seen on weaving always leave me wishing I could do "that". I really admire those who can! I can't wait to see your runner, Westelle! How long does it usually take you to make something like that?

I think the above reason is why I love gardening so much. When looking at the big picture, it doesn't take much to "create" something that (hopefully) will be around for many years. Every time I look out the window or step outside, I think, Hey, I grew that! :) Or, Hey, I kept that alive without killing it! LOL

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

That's ideal to make your own runner exactly as you want and need it. I hope you do take pics of it when you get it done Westelle and share it. It's a shame that was something you couldn't continue doing all these years.

I remember great aunts in Indiana quilting and using a whole room for the rack or whatever it is that they held it stretched out on while they worked hand stitched. I was a little girl the last time I saw it and was amazed at the size. My Mom still has a few of those quilts. At the time I was making pot holders on a kids loom on the trip to keep me busy, the scale was mind boggling to me:)

I haven't even crocheted in two years, I made 4 afghans and 4 scarfs one Christmas and my wrist and thumb still haven't forgiven me. Doesn't stop me from collecting yarn when I see it on sale:)

I agree with Brenda, that would have to entail an incredible amount of patience to do something like weave and a lot of skill. I think it's terrific that you can get started doing weaving again.