Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Worm Rustling on the South Forty of the Farm

Mikey
18 years ago

Well it's not really rustling and it's not on the south forty but it is my humble worm farm that we keep in our crafts/hobby room...

{{gwi:496808}}

Now let me pop the lid and take a quick photo before they all scurry to get out of the light. I regularly toss in old vegetables, apple cores, banana skins, egg shells, coffee grounds, stale bread, used tea bags, mother-in-laws etc. The farm is actually relatively odor free. I say relatively because certain things do smell such as citrus rinds. I don't put in things that stink (mainly citrus) but sometimes other members of the family forget..... The below photo show the worms dining a-la-carte on watermelon rinds, cherries, banana skins, tea bags and other unrecognizable stuff.

{{gwi:496809}}

Now I know you were just dying to meet the little buggers so here's a closer view of them going worm-wild while feasting on what's left of a watermelon rind and some cherries. Yummy!

{{gwi:496810}}

I haven't rustled them up for a head count but there are several thousand worms in there. I started with about 30 worms a few years ago. When they party too much and wake us up at night I threaten to introduce them to some other family members out in the pond and that seems to quiet them down... -Mike-

Comments (5)