Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Pic of my volunteer lantana

lesdvs9
16 years ago

I saw the thread about the verbena and thought of how tall this volunteer verbena is getting in my mini bed. It's getting towards 4' tall. I didn't plant it. It's swamping a third of the bed along with a left over mini and that purple hosta that I forget the name of now. Underneath it is my Australian Tree Fern, a Leather Fern, a struggling azalea and my little dragon. I took this the other day.

{{gwi:496812}}

I went to the bookstore today so that I can keep hiding out from the heat. The guy DH paid came and mowed the front yard today and pulled the weeds in the flower beds:) All I had to do was go pull some budworms off the roses and feed them to a toad:)

How are you doing??

Comments (3)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I love Lantana's bright colors. Unfortunately I have developed a severe allergy to it. I planted lots of it when first doing the gardens 10 years ago. Now when it gets out-of-hand I have to cover myself totally, wear a special mask and eye coverings while pruning it; when done I strip outdoors and immediately put the clothes in a rinse cycle (wash later), and shower from head to toe. [Oh, I get to take off the face mask and eye covers before showering. :^) ]

How am I doing? As little as possible in this renewed heat. Moving hoses and finding lots to do once it cools down.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Wow, Leslie, that's the nicest looking volunteer I've ever seen. :D I never knew that Lantanas could reseed like that...or show up without an invite. LOL

I'm hot right now, and it's only 9:50am. I've never handled the heat very well, but I like to whine about it, anyway. :D

Oh, I killed a grasshopper the other day! It's only the 2nd one I've seen in over a month, so I hope I don't have too much of a problem this year...or ever! I was on the phone with my mom at the time I found it, and she had to talk me through the killing. "It's ok, you've got gloves on, smash that sucker!" LOL So...I did. :D

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was out checking for budworms on the roses this morning and looked the lantana in the eye at the top so it did some more growing, LOL* I didn't know it could do it volunteer either. I don't really want it in there because it's huge overgrowing everything else. It's very pretty and I'm sure glad I don't have an allergy to it, Westelle. The hummers really like it and visit it and the other two at the fence line. Since this likes shade, guess I could put this in the front flower bed where nothing will grow in the corner. That would brighten it up. Seeing is now believing that these can really become monsters. The two in full sun are very well behaved.

I'm letting it go because it's so hot and the toads are in there. They're doing such a good job eating the bugs and it's providing them with both shade and a hiding place.

Westelle, did you get your loom up get?

I know about hiding out, last night weatherman the temps up to 106 or maybe 108 by Fri here for Westelle and I, Brenda. I can kill the small grasshoppers but if it crunches I can't. I chase them over the fence with the water. Thanks for the seeds too:) I'll be asking you again what to do with them and when. I'll be hoping to add those flower pics next year on here.