Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

2 days of garden business

calpat
17 years ago

Friday and today, about 6 a.m. it was cool enough to pull a few weeds, but I did get 44 Mlums planted from slips taken last spring. Just hope I haven't jumped the gun & transplanted to soon. Today reached another 100 degrees, but they all got watered in good and about 3 inches of leaf mulch around them. At 7 p.m. they still look pretty good, maybe I did something right for a change. Let's hope so!

Comments (6)

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I managed to get quite a bit done today --- not tooooo hot. I planted a new Meyer Lemon; I figure it can survive anything after sitting in the full HOT sun in a large plastic pot all summer at the nursery. I cleaned up my gardening bench this afternoon --- left for 10 days and the roof rat took over again.... what a mess.

Then there is the cute little black mouse in a white apron that took over the kitchen while I was gone This required a tremendous amount of cleaning on my part the morning after my return. ARG! and EGAD!

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Westelle, sometimes I wonder if it's worthwhile taking a holiday if when you get home your confronted with cleaning up after "uninvited guests". It's been coooling down a bit, well, we're still in the high 90's, but that's better than the triple digit numbers, huh! Digging weeds out of the rose garden, preparing that area for some Preen hopefully to kill off the seeds that come with weeds. Little by little it will get done, at least make a dent in the overall upcoming plans.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Do you ever have trouble with Preen messing with the energy of the nearby plants? It seem that every time I use it in the gardens the plants nearby suffer.

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Westelle, I was so surprised when I looked at this thread..I could have sworn that I answered it, lol must be having another senior moment! Anyhow, I've never used Preen before, wanted Weed Be Gone, they were out of it. I'll keep a close watch and see if nearby plants are affected. Thanks for input! Pat

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Pat, Weed Be Gone and Preen don't work the same way.... unless WBG has a new formulation. WBG kills the existing plants now, whereas Preen kills the seeds as they sprout.... it's called a pre-emergant. We use both RoundUp and an agricultural variety of pre-emergant on our fence lines; and Weed Be Gone on the Canadian Thistle that Fresno County has allowed to spread all over the place.

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Westelle, thank you so much for the above infomation. I didn't know what the difference was and now I've learned something. At 80 yrs, some 25 of them learning garden stuff, one would think I'd have a head full of knowledge, and I do, BUT I just don't seem to retain as much as I would like. Thanks to people like yourself, you remind me and it's so helpful! I'm getting the weeds pretty well pulled out, but will use the Preen to hopefully kill the seeds.