Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Off-topic -- dryer filter

CA Kate z9
18 years ago

I was wondering if any of you knew a way of getting the dry-sheet-softening crude off a dryer filter. The screen is almost totally coated with residue from the dry sheets. I've tried soap, Spray-n-Wash and Windex, soaking, and scrubbing. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help... I don't want to start a fire in my dryer.

Comments (6)

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally got it clean. I resprayed it with SprayNWash and left it sit all afternoon. That and a lot of scrubbing with a nylon scratchy pad finally got rid of all the clogging stuff. I thought I was going to need to try to buy a new one.

• jenn
    18 years ago

Glad you fixed that, Westelle. Someone recently sent me an email about the fire danger of a clogged dryer filter, especially if one uses fabric softener sheets in the dryer. It mentioned a test: Turn on the water and run the filter under the water. The water should of course run right through the little holes in the filter. Don't be surprised if the holes look clear and the water doesn't run through, was the message of the email. I haven't tried it yet but we don't use fabric softeners of any type. Still a good thing to try though.

Last year I passed by the laundry room and it smelled hot. I put my hand on top of the dryer and it was very hot to the touch and hadn't been running long. Hubby checked the vent to the outside, and sure enough it was clogged right where it exits the house. I still wonder: What if we left the dryer on and left the house for the day??? (something we wouldn't do anyway, but what if.......)

Jen

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My dryer makes a loud whistle when something's clogged and the hot air isn't leaving the machine -- safety feature. I knew something was wrong when it started the whistling the minute I turned on the dryer - AFTER having cleaned the lint off the catcher. I too got the FWD about the lint filter being caked, which is why I checked that first. I'm going to pay more attention in the future... it took a lot of elbow grease to get it clean... I think because it was sooooo caked on.

I had the chimney sweep clean out the whole vent pipe the last time he was here for the fireplace chimneys. We have a long vent pipe and he has looong brushes. The dryer vent was dirtier than the chimneys! I don't imagine that vent had ever been cleaned in the 12 years of this house's existence. The stuff we never think about!

• socal23
    18 years ago

My mother used to use her old pantyhose. When it got clogged, she put a new pair on. FWIW.

Ryan

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ryan: I would be concerned the the nylon hosery would melt.... not so????

• socal23
    18 years ago

Hers never did and it was a gas dryer. Their new dryer vents outside, no filter.

Ryan

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company