Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Leslie, need rose suggestions!

calpat
16 years ago

Holy Smokes Leslie, you sound like you've got projects going from now till next spring! Just peeked outside and we got some rain, just enough to know that it did indeed drop sky moisture. Now, back to business, Leslie, I'm thinking of removing all of the roses that I now have & putting in the minis. BUT I don't know a thing about Mini's. Do you get yours from a local nursery or a catalog, which one. The roses I have now have been here for over 40 years and though they still produce some pretty blooms, the plants themselves are really ratty looking,/any ideas will be most welcomed! Pat

Comments (9)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Hi Pat!
    I buy my minis from Sequoia Nursery here in Visalia where I live. I also buy from Nor'East lately because I like Dee Bennett roses. Are you interested in minis or mini floras? Here's a pic of my Dee Bennett side of my rose bed, these are both minis and a mini flora. These just happen to be my white blends and a light pink. Full sun so you can't tell. These roses will get up 3 to 4' tall and 3- 4' wide and have blooms up to 4" wide. these bushes are only 7 months old.
    {{gwi:497358}}
    Tell me what sizes or colors or what you'd like to have in roses and I'd be more than happy to narrow it down for you and help you with some choices. Sorry we were gone.
    Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: Nor'East

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Or you can go with much smaller minis or micro minis that only get up to a foot tall or up to 2 feet tall but some still would make nice cutting roses to bring in. Here's the other nursery to look at their roses. I stand behind each of these. I've bought roses from Sequoia Nursery since 1985.
    {{gwi:225311}}
    {{gwi:497359}}
    {{gwi:497360}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoia Nursery

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow...Leslie you just blew my mind...I knew you had roses & you've shown pictures as you planted them, but I had no idea you had so many and everyone a beauty. This coming week I'll start by perusing the 2 links you supplied and then I check with you again reg. choices.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Oh Pat, that's only a portion of the roses, here's view the other direction:) It doesn't really show the corner in the far left. There are a dozen down there or so that don't show. Doesn't show ones in the right corner either. I have 51 roses now, I think....
    {{gwi:497361}}
    {{gwi:497362}}
    {{gwi:497363}}
    That's still missing the ones in the front flower beds, LOL*

• youreit
    16 years ago

Wow!!! I wish I had that kind of room! Everything looks so good, Leslie. And that purple fountain grass is HUGE! :)

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Thanks Brenda, I had to cut all 4 down again a few weeks ago, they grow really fast, they were a lot bigger. Once all these roses mature and gain full width and height I can figure more what I can do. Tomato cages protect the minis from the cats, they just can't resist digging in the soft new soil and their urine kills the plants.

We want a cement continuous border all along the division. I was glad we couldn't afford it yet so that I could do that little memorial place for Jackson at the front where he used to lay down.

I'll flash one more pic then, the before, July 2006:)
    {{gwi:497387}}
    Only thing left of this are the purple fountain grasses, the crepe mrtyles were relocated to the side of the house. That's baby butterfly bushes far side fence.

• youreit
    16 years ago

That is so incredible, Leslie! I love seeing the before pic! Only the fence gives it away as being the same yard. LOL That is such a wonderfully large lot.

Ooooo, I just noticed the cute little sign in the back, Leslie's Mini-Garden! Adorable!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Thanks Brenda, I can't wait until next summer when everything is a year old in this garden and the climbers are up. That sign was in the original mini bed in the now shade garden, When winter softens up the clay I'll be able to pound it into the ground and put it into the garden in a visible place. The sign has stakes on it because of where it used to be, other wise I would have screwed it into the fence. That end of the garden is mostly minis, a mini flora and climbing minis.

I have the sign 'Hope' hanging over Chicago Peace rose, it's the large pink one and I know one day I'm going to slip and call it Chicago Hope because I watched that show all the years it was on:) I shouldn't have put it there, LOL*

So far besides Jackson's I have two stepping stones out there now. One grandgirl made and one I made. She made another today and I've got another I made for my sis as a gift for Christmas curing now and another ready to be set in as soon as I mix up the cement for my garden. Guess what family members are getting for Christmas:)

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!! @ Chicago Hope! I loved that show. And my mom has the Chicago Peace rose, too! It's so beautiful.

I need to get crackin' on what to give the family for Christmas, too. It's going to be a tight year all around, so now all I need is some creativity and a LOT of gumption. :D

I bet your family is going to LOVE those stepping stones!

Brenda