Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Canadian Geese pics

lesdvs9
16 years ago

The Canadian Geese arrived at the ponding basin behind us again for the 2nd year. Have I said how much I love that we picked the right lot?? They arrive at dusk at between 6:30 and 6:45 every night in 3 waves. I can't catch them all in a photo, they fly too fast:) You can hear the other birds in the basin start cheeping and squawking about 20 minutes or so then you'll hear the honking and look to the west and then sometimes to the north and occasionally they'll come from the east. I've tried and tried and all I can get are silhouettes of them. My camera can only do speed, not light and speed. Darn it. They pass some nights 10 feet over my head. It's awesome to hear them and see them coming and then put on the skids to stop about 200 feet away over the fence into the ponding basin. Then off and on all night you'll hear the occasionally honk as they talk to each other.

{{gwi:497474}}

{{gwi:497476}}

{{gwi:497478}}

{{gwi:497479}}

{{gwi:497481}}

Wish I had something better to show you, but I keep trying:)

Comments (5)

• calpat
    16 years ago

How fortounate you are to have those beautiful birds residing so close to you. I have a flock that passes by every now and then, also a flock of ducks, but have never had the camera on hand to even try for a picture. With the ducks I'll generally head for cover, they aren't very discriminate!

• youreit
    16 years ago

Leslie, those are awesome pics!! What a wonderful place to live, too! I love hearing them flying over, WAY up there, calling out flight maneuvers and directions. :D When the fog comes, I'll sometimes hear them flying over when I'm out in the yard, but I can't see them. Such an eerily beautiful sound.

Thanks so much for sharing!

And LOL!!! @ indiscriminant ducks!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I enjoy it very much, every few nights they're 10 feet over my head flying over my yard as their flight path in. Never thought I'd better duck, LOL* back at Pat and I think I'd better quit tempting Murphy's Law!

I just wish they'd come in just once at daylight so I could get a good pic, those aren't zoom pics just night time that don't come out because I have to do speed lens on the camera to catch them at all on the camera. I wonder what they'll do at time change, if their time clocks will change too:)

• breenthumb
    16 years ago

I agree, they do sound awsome flying overhead spring and fall and wonderful to watch their V formation. But you don't want them to get so comfortable that they stay. They will stop migrating and just settle in creating problems.

Google Canadian Geese and you'll see what I mean. We have a big problem around here where they've settled in year round at shopping malls and housing developments drainage ponds. Their "indiscriminate" behavior is creating a messy health hazard. Sandy

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have and I don't do a thing for them. They show up in the fall in several ponds and small lakes in the city and leave in the spring.

Same as with the Cliff Swallows that showed up in 100s last spring to nest on the houses in the subdivison and the 1000s of tiny toads that took care of the millions of whiteflies.

I lived in the mtns for 13 years, I'm simply enjoying a tiny slice of nature happening near my backyard:)

Something is shifting as people encroach on nature, wildlife is fighting for their survival. I'm not a "tree hugger", just like to enjoy.