Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Youreit, Hey There!

calpat
16 years ago

Just went up to Kents for one of their super duper sandwiches and needed a place to park to eat it and guess what!!! I wound up on Lawson View Lane right in front of Castle Mt. Gardens & Nursery. And they were open! Met owner, Chris Moats and she gave me a short tour, it was kinda chilly & breezy & no jacket. Got two new Butterfly bushes, one yellow, which I've never seen and a purple one. My Hummers go nuts over these and the one I had, after pruning it last spring, just never recovered. I do see a few green sprigs around the bottom, so will leave it in the ground and see what happens this coming season. Anyhow, when she asked how I heard about her nursery, I told her that a cyber friend who lives near Sacramento has a Mom that lives just a couple of blocks away, but I don't know her name or nottin! I think I lost her at "near Sacramento". I got cold, but will be going back another time soon. From such a short visit I didn't get to see much, but what I did see was impressive & look forward to my next visit. Pat

Comments (6)

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!! Wow, I had a blast from the past when you mentioned Kent's, Pat! I used to work there back in the day, and so did my brother. I left on rather bad terms and haven't been back, but Dad goes there often, since they're right down the street from the store. I LOVE Kathy's deli sammiches! :D

Mom (Joanne Rudolph, one street over on Sunset Lane, in case you go there again...and in case the lady even remembers! LOL) got one of those yellow butterfly bushes the last time she went (a few months ago). I never did get to see it in bloom, but it sounds really gorgeous! From what I remember, all of the plants I got from there have performed greatly (i.e., none of them died...hehe), but the only plants I can remember right now are the feverfew and the lamb's ears...I need some memory pills!

Mom's coming down here today, and we're headed to Three Palms in Davis for their final sale of this year. Hopefully the next time I get up to Redding, Chris will be open for business, and Mom and I can stop in for some goodies. :D

Brenda

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oh, another one I remembered buying from Castle Mt. is my Veronica spicata (speedwell). It's so BIG now, and still blooming! :)

I got some fun plants @ Three Palms yesterday, too.

Cornus stolonifera (redtwig dogwood)
    Dodonaea viscosa 'Purpurea' (hop bush)
    Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' (black mondo grass)
    Polystichum munitum (western sword fern)
    Sedum spathulifolium
    Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum' (bush germander)

I really need to find room for the dogwood and hop bush...what was I thinking?! LOL And I need to get some more pots, really pretty ones, to showcase my ever-growing collection of Sedums. I don't think I'm doing them justice by spreading them all over the place. :D

Hope everyone is enjoying the wonderfully cool temps of fall!

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, sounds like your visit/tour/buying spree went very well. When you mentioned new pots for the Sedum, it reminded me to tell you, when you're up visiting your folks next time, take a side trip to Wyntour Nursery. They have expanded their inventory of pots & many of them at reduced prices. There is an area about a block long & several feet wide that have an extraordinary selection. You might find something really pretty!

• youreit
    16 years ago

That's a GREAT idea, Pat! The last time I was there, Mom and I took a trip to Wyntour, and they had a wonderful selection of Salvias. I always notice the pots when I'm there (hard to miss, huh? :D), but being the addict I am, I only have eyes for the live stuff. LOL Next time, I'm definitely checking out their vast selection!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I think I'm taking out my sedum, it's sprawling all over the ground before it finally flowered. Maybe it was supposed to do that. I like it best at about a foot tall.

My butterfly bushes rebounded after the 100's and are huge, the pinks turned purple however and all 4 are doing well and blooming.

My dahlias are still in bloom too and my lavenders are doing fine but not blooming. I have daylillies still blooming here and there along with all my roses. It's been a very good season all in all, trials and tribulations:)

I was in Lowes again yesterday for more mulch to plant more roses with:) I found out that the last two I planted in front of my dining room are going to get 8 and 6 feet tall. Oh boy, I asked no one who lives where I do tells me these things. So, this time I went to the mini nursery where I live and had the manager there help me with roses that I KNOW will be the size I want. 3rd time to plant this spot. That's the front flower bed, the other front flower bed I had to pull out the huge climber there, it was up to the eves of the house, not enough sun and transplant it on the back fence. Now that back half of that flower bed is bare again. We got a small upright fountain for it yesterday and I think I'll stick with plants that just like shade. However today the fountain is not working, it's solar. That flower bed was on it's 4th planting at the back half and I give up, the fountain is my answer:)

I'm going to spend the winter making decorative steping stones with the grandkids names on them, grandgirl is making her own, she likes this craft too, she's very good at it actually. I've got a lot of garden area to fill with them. I'm going to be painting of clay pots to make a bunch of toad houses also for next spring. I never got those done this summer.

I have two roses to transplant and 3 to plant today:) Shhh, I lost count now how many I actually have, LOL*

• youreit
    16 years ago

My supposed 'Autumn Joy' Sedum is sprawling, too, Leslie. Mine doesn't get enough sun, and I really don't think it's even 'Autumn Joy', since the flower colors are all wrong. I much prefer the groundcover types of Sedums! They don't look much at all like the telephiums or spectabiles. The color and texture of their succulent leaves are so pretty, and when they flower, it almost surprises me, since they're already gorgeous without them. :D I think the small, trailing Sedums would fit perfectly into your miniature gardens, since that's what they are! :)

Brenda