Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Sierra Foothills Hot Sauce

CA Kate z9
16 years ago

It's finished, bottled and proclaimed GOOD by DH after 5 weeks of fermenting.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:497526}}

Comments (8)

• calpat
    16 years ago

O.K.Westelle, the pictures of "IT" look fine, but what kind of hot sauce is it...a hint would be good, the recipe would be better. The olives look pretty good too! Pat

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, sorry> There was a thread about making fermented hot pepper mash on the Harvest Forum, and I decided to try my hand at it too. I thought I had talked about it here.

About 5 weeks ago I roasted some Jalepino peppers, skinned and seeded them and put them in a crock along with chopped-up apple, garlic and onion. Poured in a mixture of Keifer Starter and Salt water; and let it "cook".

The fermenting finally has slowed down indicating it was done. I cleaned off the scum; then puréed the mash in a big blender; and then ran that thru a Foley Mill to get rid of the big debris.

I then put the smooth sauce in a pot and brought it just to the boiling point. I then added salt, sugar to taste, then a bottle of Sherry Vinegar.

DH said it was good enough to bottle.... so I did.

I like to do putsy stuff like this. It will be interesting to see how it ages.

• youreit
    16 years ago

What a great project! If my DH's tummy could still handle hot things, I might give that a go, too. :D

The Harvest forum sounds very interesting!

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually... you can do it with any pepper... hot or cool. You'd just get a little different taste and not spicy at all.

If you have more interest check out:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermented Pepper thread

• Mikey
    16 years ago

I made up a batch of Annie's Salsa from a thread that I believe I found on the Harvest forum. Her salsa recipe is great....best I've ever tasted.

I like a good hot sauce. I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mikey: I've been thinking about making Annie's Salsa and have the recipe archived. We don't use too much Salsa, so I don't want to make too much and have jars and jars of it. I should probably check out that recipe and see what I can still get at the Farmers' Market.

• calpat
    16 years ago

I've just spent the afternoon & this p.m. at the Harvest Forum. Got to try Annie's Salsa. Going to try the freezer version instead of "canning". A bowl of good salsa & a bag of tortilla rounds make a great snack while playing in the dirt. I want to try the hot sauce recipe too. Will see about cutting the recipe in half, sometimes that just doesn't work to well.

• Mikey
    16 years ago

I don't recall reading about freezing Annie's Salsa. When I made a batch I had about a quart left over that I didn't have room to process so we ate it for a few days.... It has a higher kick (picante) when it's not cooked. I really like it both ways but because we like our salsa picante and processing it lowers the picante, next time I will add more jalapeño. It will likely be too hot to eat raw though....