Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Holiday fixings

CA Kate z9
16 years ago

Anybody else having trouble getting revved-up for December? I managed to change-over my kitchen plant from a Fall catch-pot to a red, holiday one and felt I'd made a huge accomplishment. :^)

Maybe if I play some Christmas music.......

Comments (10)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Well, DH and I actually have most of our Christmas shopping done, but that's always the easiest for me. It's deciding on what goodies to bake/cook (or if I even WANT to...LOL), when to get DH enthused about the Christmas lights, when or if to worry about dragging out the artificial tree (since we're never here, anyway....), that always gets me into trouble.

So, yes! I'm definitely having trouble getting revved up. I've been trying out some classical Christmas music on the DirecTV XM satellite channel. I'm afraid if I start out with the full-bodied music, I'll be sick of it by the time the holiday rolls around. LOL

Maybe if I decorate my kitty....:D

Brenda

• calpat
    16 years ago

This is the first Christmas in a whole bunch of years that I actually am getting into a holiday frame of mind. Maybe it's all these pills I'm on! This is the year all the kids, grandkids, etc. will be home. My dd and sil have just moved back into the original home where the kids all grew up. They did a complete remodeling, redecorating & some landscaping, they'll be settled in just in time for everyone to show up and move in for the holidays..I was informed just yesterday that my participation to this get-to-gether will be making Creme Puffs!!Yah! I haven't made a CP in probably 40 years, so I guess I'll get crackin' and start practicing. To bad these can't be made,frozen,or can they? Pat
    p.s. got a new e-mail addy, check "my page"

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!! Hey, maybe I should try some of those pills, Pat. :D

That's great about the kids' childhood home! I didn't realize that was the story behind the remodel. It sounds like you're going to have a wonderful holiday!

Mmmmm, creme puffs! From what I recall after watching too many shows on the Food Network...:D...you should be able to make the pastry and filling and store them separately. Not sure how long, though. The pastry part can be frozen, but I think the filling can only be stored in the fridge for a day or 2.

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pat: I haven't had good luck freezing puffs.... they always get "funny". I know that you can buy frozen cream puffs that are OK, but mine haven't had the same luck.

FYI... You can buy a BIG pot of small, frozen, cream-filled puffs at Cosco, and they're not too expensive.... if you feel like cheating. ;-) I usually buy a box to have on hand during the Holidays for treats for the kids --- of all ages.

• calpat
    16 years ago

Honestly you two are to much!Why didn't I think of going to Costco! Will go and get the store bought ones at Costco & between now and Christmas will do some experimenting at freezing some homemade ones. I posted over at the cooking forum too, maybe they'll have some advice.
    But back to more fun stuff! My computer finally gave up th ghost & I had to replace it. I managed to get most all of my files & albums on disk, I had 5 more files to put on disk and the disk drive went kapoot. Got a "Easy Transfer Cable"but a problem installing the software into old puter. Have a tech coming out to help hopefully. Also had a nice surprise...My oldest granddaughter & hubby recentlly sold their "big" home as the yard maintenance just got to be a full every weekend chore. So they sent me the Mantis Tiller that they hardly got to use. Oh man, I love these power tools. And YES I will be using caution when I use it, in fact dd says I'm to call her over before I even take it out of the shed! Pat

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just wish Costco had pre-made crepes. I made a mountain of crepes to take to DDs for breakfast one morning.... lots of crepes for 14 people.... lots of work for me.

Rats! now I'm hungry for crepes and will need to make some for my breakfast. ;-)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Ahhh, Costco! The holiday saver (savior?). :D

Ok, Pat, you have to share the brand of your "old" computer, so none of us ever buy one. LOL It didn't last very long, did it? I'm glad you were able to save most of the stuff! Hope the techie can save the rest, too!

Wow, a Mantis!!! What a GREAT granddaughter! I hope you get to have tons of fun tearing up stuff with it! LOL

Brenda

• calpat
    16 years ago

Hey Westelle, you just gave me a super idea, why not crepes instead of puffs? And crepes can be frozen! I'll talk to DD about that! Crepes would be much easier to transport and I could make a few different fillings for them. Aha, yes I think you just saved the day....I am going to try to freeze some puffs too!

Brenda the pc is a Toshiba and actually it wasn't the computers fault, it was mine....I don't know what I'm doing, sometimes help is so slow in coming, that I go ahead and try something and manage to screw it up. When DD was here the other day we figured it out and the machine was a bit over 5 years old. Always seemed new to me as it is a laptop and looks pretty neat sitting there.
    The new pc is also a Toshiba but it has the Vista program. Complete with all the bells & whistlesThere is so much "stuff" I'll never use on this machine that it's mind boggling. A long time ago I heard of a pc that was much more simple like a typewriter, but it had on-line capabilites. Probably more like a word processor. That would be great if I could ever find such an animal as this is basically a "toy", but a rather expensive one.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad my crépe idea appealed to you. A good filling is Stouffer's Scalloped Apples, (frozen in a little box.) You could sprinkle on some cinnamon sugar for breakfast; ice cream or whipped cream for a dinner dessert. And, yes, they do freeze... I put a sheet of wax paper between after they cooled then froze the lot. I was glad I did because I could easily separate them to use what I needed without defrosting the whole "tower". I just quickly defrosted/reheated each in a non-stick pan for about 60 sec. each... I actually had 3 pans going at the same time.

• calpat
    16 years ago

Westelle, thanks so much for mentioning the crepes. Those I know how to make and I'll try the scalloped apple for filling. Now where is my "crepe pan"?