Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Planted today

lesdvs9
16 years ago

I planted two mums today, a pumpkin colored one and a light colored one that complements it along with an azalea in a large container in the front flower bed today. Well, the mums are in the ground. I also finally stuck a yellow verbena back in the ground that's been in a pot all summer in the corner of that flower bed. The summer hydrangea in the back of that bed has decided maybe it will live after all. This is about the 4th planting for that back part of that bed. We'll see if that takes or not.

I've been cleaning up the large rose garden and spreading bags of mulch as I can afford them. Can't buy a trailer load right now. Roses are still in full bloom, at least the minis are and floribundas and still some scattered daylillies and even the lavender has some blooms.

What a Nov this year is, reminds me of '05.

What are you guys up to? You're all pretty quiet:)

Les

Comments (7)

• calpat
    16 years ago

Wow Leslie, You're really getting a head start here. Isn't it great when we can go to our gardens this time of the year and see the rewards of our efforts! My roses are blooming like crazy, the foliage looks pitiful though. Still have a few Dahlias blooming, but each flush of bloom they get a bit smaller, to be expected. I was so concerned about my Mums this year, what with the extreme heat, etc. but they are recovering nicely and I've got some spectacular blossoms now.Just changed doctors today, hoping to get straight answers on my "condition". With all the medication that's been poured into me, I just haven't got any strength, ambition or energy and that's so NOT me. New MD thinks he can get me back on tract, keeping fingers crossed so that I can get back to my gardens. Pat

• youreit
    16 years ago

Way to go, Leslie! I feel pathetically lax in my garden duties lately. I've mainly been sitting out there in the warm autumn sun, enjoying the prior seasons' labors. :D

I've been starting some seeds, so we'll see how those go. The rain, then the recent sunny weather, is really making the garden glow (and grow! LOL).

Pat, I sure hope the new doc can get you to feeling better! We'll be keeping our fingers crossed, too!

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I haven't been doing a thing in my gardens -- just kinda letting them "do their thing." It's kinda nice when you can do that, for a little while anyway.

I was down south, DD2 for a week, have been pre-cooking for the coming holiday, and then will go back down to DD2 for the feast .... which the greater clan will be attending (meaning nieces and nephews too.) DD2 will be housing 14, but will have about 25 for the feast. We are bring a BIG turkey and she's getting a BIG pork loin roast.... with all the fixings. And, all this will continue to happen until Sunday next! Lots of food will be needed. DH bought 2 cases of wine for the main meals. I convinced DD2 to use heavy paper plates for all meals... she has the worst/cheapest dishwasher that hardly holds anything. Also, maybe germs won't get passed as much. (which reminds me that I need to start taking the Airborne.)

Pat: hope the new Doc can straighten things out so you have a better holiday!

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pat, I hope they can find the right mix of meds for you too. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to do that, until then the side effects can put you off. I hope you feel better soon and get your strength and energy back. Here's a pic then to cheer up you. These are fall colors, not the best blooms, but they'll do:)
    {{gwi:497718}}
    {{gwi:497719}}
    And a rose for you of course, one of my newest minis called Hanky Panky, gifted me with this the other day:)
    {{gwi:497720}}

Brenda, I know as soon as the cooler weather hits, I won't want to go out there:) That's when I'll come up with all kinds of excuses, I hate being cold and wet. This weather is enticing me out to do something and the weeds are saying you better mulch me or I'll be back with a vengeance all winter and in the spring!

Westelle, I always have to be messing with something. Maybe in a few years I can leave it be, but I doubt it. My Mom is having us all come together, there will be 23 of us. Thought about ducking out, but I can't do that to her. She needs my help setting it all up, everyone else is arriving too late to help. Convenient for them, my siblings, one sis lives there too 6 miles from Mom in SLO.

• youreit
    16 years ago

I LOVE the color of that first mum, Leslie, and your rose is so very pretty! It's so foggy out there right now, and I feel all cozy here in the house. I spent many of my younger years living in Eureka, so I really enjoy soggy weather of any kind. LOL

Wow, you ladies have nice, big families! We're with my side of the family for Thanksgiving this year, so it'll be five of us - Mom, Dad, Me, DH, and my brother. Christmas is another story entirely. DH's family is large, loud, and very rambunctious. :D

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, in case I miss you before your travels!

Brenda

• calpat
    16 years ago

Hey ladies! Thanks so much for the moral support! Leslie the rose & mums(?) are stunningly beautiful. My Mums this year finally got their acts together and are putting on quite a lovely show too. Now for the Thanksgiving thing...will be going over to DD's, as she's back into her newly remodeled home and anxious to try out the new formal d.rm. I'm not sure how I'll handle these "tanks", but there's got to be an efficient way. Saw the new M.D. and I think there will be some good stuff coming my way soon. Here's to all of you, Happy Holidays, enjoy your families! Pat

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My pleasure Pat and yes, those are my newest Mums. Aren't they pretty:) I'm glad you have a new Dr and think maybe you like this one and that's a big part of getting well.

Brenda, I don't mind getting soggy if it's snow, sometimes, if there's a warm fire next:) I will do it all now so I can veg most of the winter inside. I can handle a cold from the mtns better than the cold down here, just different. We'll have Christmas with the children, that's the important holiday and my Mom and Dad will be here. Those are the important people in my life, my kids and grandkids and my folks:)

I hope to talk to you before, have some more pics for you guys, but if not, Happy Thanksgiving to you all. We leave on Wed and Mom's making me bake a bunch of cookies and pies.
    Leslie