Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Help Me on WW II facs for school paper,Please!!

calpat
18 years ago

My great grand-son has an assignment to write a paper on what one of his relatives did during WW II. I can recall the food stamps, shoe stamps, gasoline stamps & meat stamps, but I can't remember what they were all for or how many a year we got. The USO that my Mom was a supervisor, etc. for the nightly entertainment, I use to go & just have fun. There were rent controls, shortages of ladies hosiery, the aircraft factories & the migration of people coming to Calif to work. If you can remember some specifics I would really appreciate some help here.I do remember my first visit to the Navy Hospital in San Diego when they brought so many service personnel back from Pearl Harbor. I started in their teenage program in visiting these young men & how devastating it was to me. We were all so young that I don't think we understood the severity of war.

Comments (4)

• Mikey
    18 years ago

My foster dad worked in the Long Beach Naval Shipyard during WWII and lived in Long Beach. He said that all the homes in Long Beach had to have the windows painted over or covered in order prevent light from escaping at night. Vehicles could not use their headlights at night. He said the the military had laid out streets with lights out in the desert so that should Japanese aircraft fly in they would see the lights out in the desert and bomb those. He said that every night he could hear the ratcheting of winches letting up balloons attached to steel cables which were designed to sheer off the wings of incoming enemy aircraft. He said there were anti-aircraft batteries located in numerous places in Long Beach. I would imagine San Diego did similar things.

Have you tried doing a Google search or visiting some historical museums in San Diego?

• calpat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mikey, thanks so much, this is the type of info. I needed to remind me of stuff. I had forgotten about the camouflage
    surrounding factories, shipping piers, etc.
    I was raised in San Diego, have been gone nearly 30 years now.

• rainfaerie
    18 years ago

My grandma told me they had to cover all the window panes with oil paper so that lights from houses were not visible at night. She and her friend were walking home from a party one night, got stopped by a man posing as MP (maybe he really was, who knows?), and they just ran home as fast as they could.

There's a CD compilation called 'Songs that Got Us through WW II':
    1: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - The Andrews Sisters
    2: I'll Be Seeing You - Frank Sinatra/Tommy Dorsey
    3: Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Duke Ellington
    4: Till Then - The Mills Brothers
    5: G. I. Jive - Paul Estan/Johnny Mercer
    6: I'll Walk Alone - Martha Tilton
    7: Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive - Johnny Mercer
    8: Don't Want To Walk Without You - Helen Forrest/Harry James
    9: Long Ago (And Far Away) - Jo Stafford
    10: I'll Get By (As Long As I Have You) - The Ink Spots
    11: There'll Be Bluebirds Over The White Cliffs Of Dover - Jimmy Dorsey
    12: Comin' In On A Wing And A Prayer - The Song Spinner
    13: Sentimental Journey - Les Brown/Doris Day
    14: It's Been A Long, Long Time - Harry James/Kitty Kallen
    15: When The Lights Go On Again (All Over The World) - Vaughn Monroe
    16: Yours - Jimmy Dorsey/Bob Eberly/Helen O'Connell
    17: I Wonder - Louis Armstrong (bonus track)
    18: Waitin' For The Train To Come In - Peggy Lee

My dad was a seventeen-year-old soldier stationed at the Presidio in Monterey, CA and these songs really bring him back to those glory days.

Good luck with the paper!
    Rain

• calpat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rain, thanks so much for your input here! I really appreciate your time and effort. I had completely forgotten about the songs that were so popular and the "big band" sounds. When we talk about war, it usually is a sad thing & we want to forget, but there were good times too!
    Thanks again, Pat

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida