Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another winner

Posted by westelle z9 Fresno CA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 23:32

Did I mention that I also am/did process the Olives from my little tree, all 3 #s of them. I couldn't get any lye so I processed part in water and part in a brine solution. The brine jar will probably be done this week, but the water one was done 2 weeks ago so I put those olives in the final brine/vinegar/herb/lemon peel/oil solution to hang out until Thanksgiving. A neighbor and I stole a taste today and are they good! Yaaaaaaaaa!

It's always such a relief when something that has taken so long to make finally does indeed come out good.

Now there is a recipe for Pear Ginger Liqueur that sounds interesting to try.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another winner

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 8:47

I'm glad it all worked out, even without the lye, Westelle! The last time we were over there, I completely forgot to ask DFIL what he used this year instead of lye. And they even had the huge jars lined up in the kitchen and were adding massive amounts of garlic to most of them. I swear, I'm losing my mind. :D

I love the buttery/salty flavor of the plain olives, but DH prefers getting his breath all stinky with the garlic ones. LOL

Pear-anything Liqueur sounds VERY yummy! MMMMM!

Brenda

o

lpinkmountain 5b/6a border PA (My Page) on Wed, Oct 31, 07 at 21:06

Here's something that might be fun to try, from one of my favorite out of print books, "The Herbal Pantry" by Emilie Tolley.

Pear Ginger Liqueur

8 very ripe pears, about 4 cups
2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
4 cups vodka
1/2 cup white wine
-------------------------
2 cups sugar
1 cup water

Combine the pears, ginger, vodka and wine in a large jar with a tight-fitting cover. Place in a cool dark place to steep for one month.

Crush the pears slightly with a wooden spoon or potato masher and steep for another 4 days.

Strain the liquid, pressing and much juice as possible from the pears, then filter.

Boil the sugar and water together in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved; cool, then gradually stir into the liquer, tasting as you go. When the liqueur has reached the desired level of sweetness, bottle and age for an additional 3 weeks in a cool, dark place.

You could then probably add this to taste to warm wine. Could also probably use red wine in the recipe.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 9:51

That sounds so delicious. I especially like the "tasting as you go" part. LOL By the time I got it right, I'd be thinking, Thish tashtesh great! *hiccup* :D

Brenda the Lightweight

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here