Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Hey Brenda!

lesdvs9
16 years ago

Brenda, this is one of the things I've been messing with. I know you have dial up. How easily can you view this slideshow?

These are some of my roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow

Comments (7)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Hi, Leslie! So that's where you've been keeping yourself! :D

Your roses are absolutely gorgeous! I started writing down my favorites, then gave up about 1/4 of the way into it, since 90% of them were my "favorites". LOL

The whole slideshow took about 8 minutes to completely load, but it started showing the first pic after only about a minute or 2, so I was able to keep viewing while it was loading. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

And thanks for sharing your beautiful roses with us!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was afraid of that. I've got two more done of just my Ralph Moore roses. That's what I needed to know. I wonder if they have fewer pics it would load faster then. I had to go through 1300 pics to do those two slideshows. This one was done just with some recent pics. Thanks for your complement though:)

I've been busy with that, the grandkids, have had appts all over the place. Just really busy. I have 8 bags of mulch to put out after we get the cement borders in we want. I'm pushing out the grass areas in the front flower bed and in the large rose garden:) More room to plant more roses! They were supposed have been done on Thurs but cancelled because of the rain coming in.

I can't believe this year is almost over! Christmas is in a couple of weeks, blows me away. I'm not ready, usually every year I have it all bought. Not this year, I'm still scrambling. No one, our kids, will tell me what they want either. My siblings all got stepping stones that I gave them at Thanksgiving. Hard to mail cement, LOL*

Thanks again for the opinion, have to make them shorter in the future. I had already posted the other two I made on the Rose Gallery. This one I showed you was my first attempt, a mix of all my roses and I was curious if folks with dial up could even view it. I knew you'd tell me true:)
    Les

• youreit
    16 years ago

It probably would load more quickly if there were less pics in it, Leslie, but it really was worth the wait! Besides, I can get a lot done while it's loading...multi-tasking, doncha know? :D

LOL @ mailing cement! Yes, I can imagine the looks from the postmaster at our little P.O. here in Knights Landing. And the price! LOL

I still can't seem to get myself in gear for the holiday! I gaze mournfully at the calendar each day, knowing the day is approaching, Christmas music blaring in the background. Watching the movie "Elf" seems to help raise the spirit of Christmas for a while, but....then I'm back to calendar gazing. :D

Your rose garden is going to be even more amazing the more you can pack in there! LOL I can't wait to see it all next season!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The kids are all asking mostly for gift cards, nothing hard in that but seems kind of disappointing to me no packages under the tree. I've been racking my brain for other things. I stole a pic of my son's jeep out of his photo account he has linked to me and am blowing it up to poster size. He's in a club and has put like 50K into it. You'd think it was another child:)

Yeah, I'm having a hard time this year, seems just not Christmas. My folks will be here and that's nice. It's always good to have my Mom here, too few years could be left to enjoy. I want every one I can have. Selfishly I get them, my siblings don't make her feel welcome for her to go to any of their houses. Mostly because of Dad. Their loss my gain:)

They're going to be closing the rose nursery near me, so I want to get the last of the roses I like. Not sure someone else will be able to open another, so I'm going to pick up the remainder of what I've wanted to get to be sure. I've already got 4 in pots waiting to go in the front flower bed:)

I have a hard time finding plants I like growing, but I can grow roses:) I'm going to try your hollyhocks in between the climbers on the fence line.

Haven't tried listening to music trick, but at least the temps are now reflecting a more Dec like weather down here. There were times in the mtns Christmas was in the 70's also, other times we had snow. Ho Ho Ho:)

What do you have planned for the holiday?

• youreit
    16 years ago

This Christmas, we're with DH's family, and they live local, so that will be nice to wake up in our own bed on Christmas. :) The day after, we'll be heading up to Redding to celebrate with my folks and my brother for a couple days.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough go of it! Are the headaches rampant now? :(

I'm so lucky to have my mom living so close! Well, a couple hours, but it's better than her being WAY down south or across the country. I'd live next door to her if I could, though. :)

There's nothing that screams Christmas like presents stacked under the tree, and you're right about the gift cards not really making an impression. They're so popular these days, as well as easy! I've even heard of people wrapping empty boxes so the tree looks more festive. LOL

I would be very heart-broken if my favorite local nursery shut down! Glad to hear you're getting all you can from yours before they close, though. The hollyhocks will LOVE hanging out with the roses! I have plenty more seeds if you ever need any, too. :D

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So you're going to be up near Pat? Sounds like you'll have quite a get together. I hope you leave early ahead of the traffic.

Felt sorry for son in Modesto, he was coming down on the 21 and had to get the 4 kids back on the 22nd so we're going to take the gifts up to him instead. Hard to get them all together, 12 to the youngest is 3 and his pickup is a gas guzzler and money is tight. So, we'll run up there for the night and my folks will be here on the 23rd. Ulterior motive, just a little. This way the kids, especially the 3 year old won't have trashed the house before my folks get here, LOL* Well, there is Christmas generosity and feel sorry for son, working and trying so hard. Flip side, my house stays clean:)

I have my tree sitting in a water holder, haven't done anything to it, including lights. Guess I need to do that. Have stockings I was supposed to help other son's kids decorate, haven't done that either.

Usually I'm the nut about Christmas, this year I can't wait for it to be over.

How many seeds do I plant in a hole? Sure I'd take some more, I'd plant them along the part we cemented in on the side of the house and left 6" of dirt all along. Do they like lots of water or are they not water lovers? You still need to tell me when to plant them too:) March?

Mom had a bad stroke and then she started having small ones called TIA's. They seemed worse in the hot summers. They'd go to the coast or somewhere cooler and it wouldn't happen. She was convinced the heat brought them on, so they sold their house here and moved to the coast. She hasn't had any in the 4 years since they've lived there, so I guess she had it pegged correctly. When she comes to visit in the summer we pretty much stay inside. She's a little over two hours away but they live in a senior park and we couldn't take the dog with us, rule on large dogs. It's too hot here for too many months to leave him outside. Now that he's gone we're free to leave when we want and I hope to go see Mom more frequently.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Yes, we're going to be up in Pat's area! My hometown, the land of my forefather's. Well, ok, just one father. :D What I love about traveling between Redding and here is that traffic is always light...compared to heading south, anyway. :D

LOL!!! @ protecting your house from the little one! Hey, at least you'll get to enjoy the kids without all of the "extras". :)

I started my hollyhocks in late winter inside the garage under lights and with bottom heat, so not entirely sure about how to get them going outside. Since they're known to reseed so readily, I would think you could do the job for them, i.e., scatter them where you want them now, just as they would if left to seed naturally. From what I've read, they develop deep taproots, so once they're established, you wouldn't want to move them. They seemed to do fine when I transplated them while still very small, in case they sprout for you close together.

I had to water mine deeply once a week during the hottest times, even the 2 clusters that weren't in full sun (part sun and almost full shade with some dappling throughout the day). I also fed them with fish emulsion once a month during growth and bloom. The last one was blooming into Nov.!

It's great to hear that your mom has done well after the move! I avoid the heat as much as possible, too, so I don't blame her for staying inside the nice air conditioned house while visiting. :)

Brenda

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County