Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

So much for Ho Hum

CA Kate z9
16 years ago

DH's employer gave him a wine refrigerator for a Christmas present. I don't mean to look a gift-horse in the mouth, but we spent hours trying to figure out where to put it.

A year or two ago we thought we would like to have one -- since we're vinos. At that time we looked and measured everywhere we thought one might fit. Nada.... and gave up on the idea.

We finally put it in an out-of-view spot in the dining room, but it's black and chrome exterior doesn't really fit in with our cherry Stickley furniture. Oh well.... DH happily filled it up once we got it plugged in behind the china hitch.

Ah yes. We haven't moved this heavy piece of furniture in the 11 years we've lived here. I don't need to tell you the dust, dirt and cobwebs we found.... and had to clean up before plugging in said wine refrigerator and putting all back in place.

So now I'm worn out.... and am in less of a mood to decorate. Bah Humbug!

Comments (11)

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, DH decided to cleanup the box-mess this morning. He broke up all the styrofoam packing into pieces small enough to put in a garbage bag -- in the living room. We had static styrofoam clinging to everything! I finally remembered a hint I read -- spray a cloth lightly with anti-static spray -- like for electronics -- and then dust the pieces. It works really well! I sprayed the broom too and swept the pieces off the carpet where they were easily picked up. I guess once in awhile reading all those hints pays off.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Hey, that's a great hint, Westelle! I wonder why DHs in general seem to find packing material so fascinating...styrofoam, bubble wrap (POP-POP-POP!!!), etc. LOL

Glad to hear you found a spot for the long-awaited wine fridge, too. :)

I must be feeling a little Bah Humbug, too! DH wrapped his family's presents, but I have yet to get to my family's. No decorations, either, and the tree isn't up. What is it about this year in particular, I wonder? :(

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have no idea what's going on, but I haven't talked to even one person who is "into" Christmas this year. Everyone is saying, "I don't know what wrong with me, I just can't seem to get into the Christmas spirit this year." Maybe it's because we've been being hounded by merchants for months now; AND received every catalog delivered in the USA not once but at least twice a week for the last 3 months. I Kinda wish I had kept all the magazines I've received, sorted them into merchant-piles, photographed them, and sent them each a photo of the ridiculous number of catalogs they've sent just to me.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Hi Ladies, I've been so busy, sorry. My son came over with the kids one night and strong armed into getting the tree done. Today alone I've been to the Dr here, to another town to the eye doc to pick up new glasses, then go to the mall to get another movie gift cert for my dad for the one I lost, clean house, wash clothes I'm up baking cookies to take to the kids in Modesto tomorrow and oh, I was up to 2am wrapping gifts last night. Stressed?? Not me, I'm still not done in the house and my folks are coming on Sun, we'll be back Sat and I don't have the grocery shopping done yet nor any other baking, but hey it's Christmas and I think I have all the Christmas gifts bought, again and all but 3 are wrapped. So far I've also made about 13 stepping stones and one 15" cement plant stake made since the first of Nov as gifts. The last 4 just came out of the molds last night and I got to clean up my dining room today and put away all the mess. I haven't seen my dining room table in months or my kitchen counter, LOL* The stones have just enough time to dry before Christmas to give as gifts. Course the recipients can't put them outside for another month because of frost. I didn't take a breath with that because that's how I feel!:)

I'm with you Westelle on the catalogs, I think I got at least 5 a day. I stacked them all on the coffee table until they towered and my DH threatened me with a fate and I passed them off on future DIL and threw the rest away. What a waste of paper. Very nice Christmas present on the wine fridge though, great boss:) I used to spray Endust on my Mom's duster and do her floors with it, you had to watch out when you came through with socks on if you were hurrying:)

Wow Brenda, DH wrapped his own gifts?? I've had my DH wrap the kids gifts before, they don't look good, gotta tell you. Now that the grandkids are older, that's why I stayed up late to do them, LOL* I made lots of glittery ribbons too:) I agree on the popping material, DH loves to pop those too.

Hello Pat if you're out there, hope you're just caught up in things too and feeling ok:)

I'll be in and out and around H99, if I miss you all, I wish you a Merry Christmas, no matter the Ho Hum:)
    Leslie

• youreit
    16 years ago

For whatever reason, I've been lucky enough to not receive the amount of catalogs you ladies have! So for me, it must not be that. :D DH seems to think it's the economy, and considering he's not currently working for that reason, among others, that could very well be true. But it also gives him time to help me wrap presents, do some chores, help with grocery shopping (#1 on my list of thank yous to DH!!). LOL

I tend to get more and more emotional the older I get, and this time of year, I get to thinking about soldiers and their families, those less fortunate, etc., so I'm sure that's part of it, too.

Leslie, don't burn out before the big day!! LOL What I wouldn't give to have your determination! :D

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Oh, that must be it, sheer grit, LOL*

I was crying yesterday, they had the funeral for the sheriff's det that was, I'd say killed, but he was murdered by a guy he was taking into custody. We were leaving town as CHP were taking their places to block all the onramps for the funeral procession to go from here to where he was going to be buried. DH knew him and we couldn't be here for it. He helped with preps for a memorial on Thursday though for later. Very tragic, his poor family and kids. This holiday will never be the same again for them.
    http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071222/NEWS/71222005

I think about the soldiers and the families. I accepted a package for a family across the street who ship out of the naval air base near here and then worried they'd be home to get it. They showed on Thursday, whew.

I have to get cleaning, got our gifts all delivered to the kids and let them open one of their 3 each last night. I got a family gift for them all, Deal Or No Deal. It wasn't like the tv show though, so we made it the same. The kids and our son had a bang up time of it. It did what I wanted it to, made them sit together and have fun as a family:)

• calpat
    16 years ago

OH yes, I'm here, feeling great, but not much for me to get ready. Going over to DD's for the day as she is so excited about all the kids being able to come home this year. Got the crepes made ready for apple stuffing, made up some cream puffs, but they didn't freeze to good and were a bit on the soggy side. No matter, plenty of other goodies.

All of the family have been after me for a very long time to get a pet so I won't be lonesome(!?!?)SOooooDD & I went to the Haven Humane Society and I found a darling little dog..long story short...brought him home and on day 4 took him back,. Nothing wrong with the animal, it was me. just couldn't keep up with the little guy.Not entirely housebroken, so that was a real drawback, then he thought the oxygen hoses were for him to play tug-of-war, sweet animal but needs a much younger person to train and care for him. I reallly don't want any more pets as I have plenty to do just taking care of me.
    So today, I've been catching up on putting the house back in some sort of order, like laundry, etc.,etc. It's been overcast and dreary looking outside, but the fresh cold air feels pretty good!

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oh, Leslie, we had a similar episode up here this week, where a deputy was shot and killed by a 16-yr-old who was fleeing a drug house! It just breaks my heart for the officers' families. :(

Pat, sorry to hear the puppy didn't work out! But yeah, you can't have him chewing on your oxygen hoses, for crying out loud! :D As much as I miss having a dog (a Pug-sized dog, anyway!), our Pookie kitty is so laid back and easy to care for. The thing about cats is that they require down time...as we all do. LOL

It was SOOOO cold here yesterday - down to 30F in the a.m., only up to 47F later. I'd take that over upper 90s or 100, though! :D

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My grandsons are here -- with the others to arrive Xmas day.... so I'm in a better mood. We strung popcorn and cranberries, which looks surprisingly good on the ornament-less tree. I did bring in the ornament boxes so some could be added if desired. DGS and I made pinwheel cookies today -- chocolate and vanilla swirls. I think the roll might be hard by now, so maybe we can cut and bake some before supper.

A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!

• calpat
    16 years ago

AND TO YOU TOO WESTELLE! And to Brenda &family & Pookie! Leslie, take it easy now, but have a wonderful holiday!
    and to all the wonderful people who have helped, guided, encouraged and scolded when I needed it, have a most joyous Holiday, followed by a prosperous New Year 2008!

• youreit
    16 years ago

Wow, what great messages to read earlyearlyearly Christmas morning!

Westelle, you have painted a lovely picture of true holiday spirit, and I can now feel it warming my spirit, as well! Thank you, and I wish you and yours the very best today and all year! And....I LOVE chocolate-vanilla pinwheel cookies! :D

Pat, I hope you have a wonderful holiday at the family homestead! I can't WAIT to get up to Mom's and Dad's...the smells and tastes of home cooking, the Christmas tree scent, surrounded by the best company in the world! Best wishes to you and everyone, and thanks for being a great inspiration and a connection to my home town. :)

Leslie, I know you're having a wonderful holiday, because you've worked your hinie off to make it so. :D Christmas blessings to you, your wonderful grandkids, and the whole family!

Brenda