Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Free Purple Wisteria -- 3 years old

Posted by melle_sacto Z9/Sunset 14 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 14:55

I have a purple wisteria, probably Chinese wisteria, that I grew from a cutting three years ago, off my mom's wisteria. It is a very reliable bloomer, even bloomed the first year as a small cutting. It blooms profusely in the spring and is sprinkled w/blooms through summer. I adore wisteria but my yard is small, I planted it close to a shared fence, and I have a young child and don't spend as much time gardening as I used to; I can tell I won't be able to keep up w/the vine now that it's really taking off (I was in denial for the previous years).

I would like some help to dig it up and unwind it from the pergola, but it's free to whoever can give it a larger home. Even if you choose to cut it down completely, I am confident it will re-sprout from the roots. I plan to replace it w/Hardenbergia, a smaller cousin.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Free Purple Wisteria -- 3 years old

Wisteria is one of my all-time favorites. Do you still have it?

o

• Posted by sib5 socal9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 08 at 23:35

Is it gone?

o

Yes I still have the wisteria; I'd still be happy to give it away.

o

Upon re-inspection, the wisteria has broken dormancy and there are a lot of 1-inch clusters all over it. I guess I'll enjoy it another year and re-assess how I feel in December 2008. I'm sure I'll LOVE it again this spring and summer, then be annoyed at how grabby it is when I prune.

o

If you decide to hang on to it, would it be possible to get a few cuttings?

o

Yes; I recommend taking cuttings in January so please email me in January.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from California are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here