Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan_lampl

HAVE: Orange County Spring '08 Plant Exchange

Bryan Lampl
15 years ago

Hi Everyone, hope the plants are doing good, should be after all the rain. There has been some chatter about having a plant exchange and the main issue is a location. My driveway is certainly big enough for an exchange and if we can find a good day to do it then I will make it available. The last one at Mike's drew around twenty people and I would hope we can do that again. It was nice to see everyone again plus all the new faces too. Start spreading the word to all that would be interested and we'll try to put together a day. Saturday is best for me. I also think that we should start compiling a contact list of all the local traders, so send me your info or add it to your post if you want to be involved in the trade. By the way, I am in Westminster so that is centrally located in O.C. and hopefully that will help get everyone together. Otherwise, with a contact list put together, we can plan for a fall trade when it is a good time to get plants in the ground....

Comments (19)

• sanda
    15 years ago

Hi Bryan,
    I haven't been to this website in ages, and just today I happened upon your post, perfect timing!!
    A swap sounds like a great idea!! Now is still a great time to meet and plant, it's not too hot yet.
    I have some contacts, nina, mikey, ocbird. I will email everybody, and hopefully we can come up with a convenient date for all. Thanks for doing this.
    sanda

• ninated2
    15 years ago

I would love to attend..May 3 is better for me..Nina

• heirloomkeepsakes
    15 years ago

Brian - May 3 is G-R-E-A-T. I'll start putting things in pots. Gloria was considering having at her Mom's house (it is empty) Valley View/Ball/Cerritos, but......she hadn't confirmed. So, now we have a location. I know when I put it up Mrs.dog was interested, I had several HITS. Look on "old message" and contact them. That had several already interested and I had mentioned possibly end of APRIL. Of course, Sanda was off - LAST WEEKEND WAS HOT -- EXTREMELY HOT. I'll call Rose (Santa Ana) not interneter. Gloria and perhaps some other ladies will be interested. I'll pass the word. I'm sure it will GO...... LINDA.

• sanda
    15 years ago

Actually mickey had a good point. The Mary Lou Heard Memorial Garden Tour http://www.heardsgardentour.com/ , which primarily targets Orange County residents, takes place the weekend of May 3 & 4 and a few people who would like to attend the exchange may be attending the tour, or some are hosting it. Maybe the end of May would be better, and it would give people a chance to root their cuttings?
    Maybe dirtface should pick a date...Bryan?

Here is a link that might be useful: tour

• Bryan Lampl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree that the end of the month would be better. As far as picking a date, any Saturday would be good. I also think that we all would need a few weeks to put together plants for a trade, I have been starting cuttings myself the last few weeks. I am going to propose May 24th, that would allow us to enjoy the Mary Heard tour and the garden shows at South Coast Plaza and Fullerton....

• heirloomkeepsakes
    15 years ago

May 24th seems to be better all around. I'll call the ones that don't have Internet. It will give us more time to get plants started. You live in Westminster?

• Bryan Lampl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know everyone is busy, but please give me some feedback on the date

• sanda
    15 years ago

May 24 is good for me. I marked my calendar.
    sanda

• ninated2
    15 years ago

May 24 sounds great to me

• sanda
    15 years ago

I will look around my yard and make a list of plants I will bring to share. Also, will post a list of plants I wish to have. Maybe I get lucky and someone has them...right?
    sanda

• Mikey
    15 years ago

May 24th works for me. Thanks Bryan for offering to host the exchange.

• Bryan Lampl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad that this date works, pass it on to others that might be interested. I will probably have mostly drought tolerant plants including some salvia. We'll see what else I can find. Look forward to seeing everyone. Now we just have to decide on a time, how about 10 a.m.?

• Bryan Lampl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will put together an announcement and email it and post a link to it this week...

• altadenamara
    15 years ago

I'm new here, but definitely have some plants to exchange, or just give away. Too many of my grape cuttings rooted last year, and I don't have room for all of them. Also some potted roses, miniature roses as well. They sure get big fast.

• Bryan Lampl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again, I made a quick webpage for the exchange. Let me know if I forgot anything. I will email those who have already stated they will be attending. See you on the 24th....

Here is a link that might be useful: O. C. plant exchange - May 24th

• sanda
    15 years ago

Here's what I will be bringing to the exchange:

pink (not fuchsia)bouganvilla in a 5gal pot
    pork and beans
    zebra grass
    lemon bacopa
    kalanchoe dk pink
    bamboo palm seeds
    martha washington geranium cuttings, burgundy/black
    tall canna - red, pink
    maybe some bearded iris - purple, blue-anyone want some?
    don't know the name - really colorful leaves
    calla green godess

My wants list:
    passiflora blue moon or ruby red
    passiflora alata caerulea (mine died)
    pinstripe ginger
    variegated ginger
    marble taro
    black taro
    brugmansia dark pink or red
    fragrant and variegated plants
    tropicals

I'm looking forward to the exchange!

• sanda
    15 years ago

Well, we did it!

We were a small but lively bunch, and the weather was just right. Bryan had the perfect place. His driveway is huge, and he has an amazing variety of interesting plants in his collection.

It was very nice seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I acquired great new plants that are already in the ground, and took very well, because the weather stayed cool.

Thanks so much dirtface and all my gardenweb friends!
    sanda

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

I'm sorry I missed this. We had a blast at the one last year and I got some great plants. Maybe next year...

• irishtwinsmommy
    15 years ago

Is there an exchange this year?
    I am just starting my garden, but am not new to gardening. We have moved and I gifted my previous plants.

Anyway, I am starting over again and was hoping to find some cuttings or seeds or even extra plants. I have some various seeds to excahnge and plumeria cuttings (maybe some others too). I'll list my seeds.
    Cocozelle Bush Zucchini
    Sweet Mini Bell Peppers
    Golden Scallopini Bush Summer Squash
    Bush Champion Cucumber
    Native Milkweed (Monarch larve Food:)

What I am looking for are "Chicks and Hens," Sempervivum tectorum. Any kind of daisy plants :) Mint cuttings. Impatient and Begonia cuttings (or plants of course) Herb seeds or plants like Tyme and oregano and rosemary.
    I also really want a good smelling (drought toerant)lavender plant or even a reccomendation on the name of a good one. There seems to be several varieties and I don't know which to choose. They can be large or small plants; I am mainly looking for their flowers and they heavenly smell!

Anyway, If anyone is in for a trade, let me know. I live in Buena Park near Knott's.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz