Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: red rose needs to live outside of San Francisco

Posted by tropical_thought SF CA 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 3:14

I have a red rose, but the flowers won't open because there are too many petals and not enough heat. I paid top dollar for this name brand rose, I would want to know you live in the east bay or south bay. If you have anything to trade me, I like bulbs, those are easy to dig up and transport, but just knowing the rose is going to a good home is enough. The rose is very disease resistant, but the flowers still won't open in San Francisco. It has no rust, mildew, or black spot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
rose found home

I did give this away on craigs. It turned out, I later discovered it would not open because it had Botrytis. If I had known, I may have been able to get the rose to open. I wanted a fungal proof rose and it was, but it still got Botrytis. I have cleared up the Botrytis now. But, it had a high petal count. I later learned, I should have selected a rose with a low petal count for San Francisco. Some roses with high petal counts won't open all the way due to lack of heat.

o
RE: HAVE: red rose needs to live outside of San Francisco

Oh I am sorry. Mine got that this spring as well and I didn't know what it was until someone posted it on the rose forum. Love San Francisco! You all have it right. In LA everyone abandons the city after 6pm and it's too dangerous. Not like that in SF at all and it's beautiful to look at any time of year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from California are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here