Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcub_gw

deck and pergola

angelcub
18 years ago

Hi gang! Just thought I'd share a few pics of the deck and arbor Mark built last fall. I did all the painting. We plan on installing railing around it this spring or summer for more of a sense of enclosure. There is lots of dirt since we took out the grass, but we'll be remedying that soon. I've put in some 'Berry Magic' hollies and have some roses and other shrubs on stand by. Just waiting for Mark to make the new beds. In the center we are thinking of some paving material with a path out to the potager. And a water feature of some kind. Guess we'll be busy for awhile. lol!

{{gwi:500934}}

We plan to change out the kitchen door (under the pergola) for a french slider. And the area in front of the bay window won't have railing, as that's where we'll step down into the garden.

{{gwi:500936}}

I have a couple of wine barrels filled with tulips and ranunculus on the deck. I am loving having this new space to hang out on in the afternoon with a good book or garden magazine. I've made some cushions for the furniture and now I'm working on some big, comfy pillows. Heck, I may just live out there this summer! : )

{{gwi:500938}}

Diana

Comments (8)

• jenn
    18 years ago

Diana! So good to see you! :-)

I love the deck and arbor, they're beautiful! Mark did a great job. I like the idea of a slider door. We have a slider leading out to our patio. It seems to open up the view a lot. Love the wicker furniture too, it makes your home look like a B&B. And that view!!!

Were those pictures taken just recently? Have you had a lot of snow? I don't see any there.

I hope you stick around, I've missed you.

Jen

• youreit
    18 years ago

Really gorgeous pergola and deck, Diana! I love the way the light and shadows play across the house. And that view is to die for!

Can't wait to see more plantings when Mark finishes the beds, too! :)

Brenda

• angelcub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Jenn and Brenda! The pics were taken around Thanksgiving, shortly after the trees lost all their leaves. That's fairly typical for this area. They start leafing out again around Feb.-Mar., depending on how cold the winter has been.

I'm looking forward to that slider. Right now there's a single french door, which opens in. It just takes up too much room in the kitchen. And those two side windows are totally useless. I don't know what I was thinking when we had the house built - guess they just slipped by me like a few other things I WON'T do again. lol!

Yes, we've had snow - on and off for the last month or so. Here are some recent pics. We've had lots of rain, as well, which we need but I'd rather have the snow. It's not as messy and melts slowly into the ground.
    {{gwi:500940}}

Thanks again for taking a peek and your encouraging comments. I'm looking forward to getting more roses planted. They're such an addiction, but what a nice one to have. : )

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: more spring pics

• jenn
    18 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous pics Diana.... what a view!!!

• tressa
    18 years ago

Love it, Diana. I do believe you could live out there!!!
    We had some snow in Temecula this year, also!

• Steveningen
    18 years ago

WOW Diana! I want to have sangria on your deck. What are you planning for the pergola? Slap my face...roses, of course. Your house is what Chez-veningen wants to be when it grows up ;-)

Steven

• angelcub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Jen! I need to get down to Armstrong's for more plants. I just love that nursery and you are so lucky to have it nearby.

Hi Tressa : ) Good to hear from you and I'm glad you got some of the white stuff, too. I'm sure it was just the icing on the cake to your beautiful home. Hope you're getting to spend lots of time out there.

Steven, your place is no slouch, especially considering the transformation from asphalt jungle to a lovely cottage garden. And the patio area you and Brian created is margarita heaven. I'll bring the shrimp salsa. ; )

We're about ready to order that slider. It will probably be 6' because we checked out the 5' ones and the opening seems too small. Allowing for the handles and stop guard, they barely measure 22". Anyone else run into this? We're going to order the 6' Anderson 400 series since we have all Anderson windows now and love them. But this means a bigger header - argh! It's never simple, is it? : )

Hope you're all enjoying this lovely weather!
    Diana

• noproblemoism
    17 years ago

I find this gorgeous pergola from Costco.com. You can set it up in a few hours. Beautiful hardwood. I heard that the MSRP is $3999.99, but Costco runs a special deal on this high-end pergola for $2599.99 (shipping included).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11160592

{{gwi:311070}}

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11160592