Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbdcd

front yard boundary planting

cbdcd
19 years ago

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum and new to suburban gardening. Have never been this space-limited, and am having a hard time figuring out how to plant everything I want. I don't have a back yard--it's all pool and patio. The front is grass, but I don't like grass. Still, it will be a long process convincing my husband to rip it all out to put in good specimen plantings.

Right now there is a row of roses along the left side of the yard as you face the street. There's about 2 feet from the roses to neighbor's lawn. It's a western exposure with full sun. I added companion plantings of artemesia, lamb's ear, dusty miller, lavender, and a few more, just so the roses don't look so bare there. The companions are all still very small, as I just planted them.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there something you know of that I could plant in the 2-foot width from roses to neighbor's yard that would grow to a 3-6 foot hedge? I'm afraid of crowding the roses, and of taking up prime specimen planting area.

2. If 2 feet isn't wide enough, can I move the roses at this time of year without damaging them or slowing their growth?

3. I'd also like your opinion on what you think looks better behind roses, a formal hedge, or an informal one? (I know, it comes down to taste, but I still want to know your thoughts.)

For my hedge planting, I'd prefer something that is either very fragrant, or has attractive flowers, like mock orange, gardenia, osmanthus, etc. But I don't want to have to fight the plant to keep it from getting unruly or too tall. And if it's a fragrant plant, I'd also like its bloom time to be summer, fall, or winter, instead of spring. (Aren't I picky?)

I'm in Costa Mesa. Specifically, Mesa Verde, which is about 5 miles from the ocean, Sunset Zone 24.

Any ideas, gardeners?

Thanks!

Cynthia

Comments (3)