Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for shade trees/shrubs for an animal shelter

Posted by rockinrobin_2008 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 23:41

Hi
I volunteer at an animal shelter in Southern CA (LA area). We recently installed artificial grass in our play yards and need some suggestions for trees/shrubs that we can plant by our play cages to assist with shade in the warmer months (we also are installing accordian style shade covers over the play cages). We are looking for fast growing (but not something that will get too gigantic), non leaf dropping trees that are low maintenance, somewhat drought tolerant (we do have a sprinkler system), with root systems that will not spread too much (we have a long ashpalt driveway near the play cages where we need to plant the trees so need something that won't push the asphalt up). Can anyone suggest trees or shrubs that might work for our situation?

Thank you
Robin and the dogs at the shelter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for shade trees/shrubs for an animal shelter

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 9:13

Robin (and all of those four-legged darlings!), you will probably want to post this over in the Discussions area, since the Gallery doesn't get too much traffic lately. :)

I'm in N. Cali, so I'll leave the advice to those who live closer to your area. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here