Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allow Sunlight thru a Chain Link fence (while concealing)?

Posted by sparkyr SF, CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 18:01

I am looking for some advice about what plant I can grow on top of a large retaining wall/hillside that will slightly "conceal" a chain link fence withOUT blocking the sun. Obviously, I won't completely able to conceal the chain link but I'm hoping there is a plant that will help make it less noticeable. However, it is really really important not to block the sunlight too much. Additionally, it is way up high on a wall so it is very inaccessible so regular pruning (to thin a thicker plant) is not possible. :(

Does anyone have any ideas?
Things I've considered:
1. Ivy (since leaves will block the sun I don't think will work).
2. Sarracenia (I don't know which species or if they grow in SF but I thought the larger tubular shape of the pitchers might conceal. Plus, it doesn't look like they grow too densely)
3. An ornamental grass (I love horsetail but, again, I think it grows too thick and would block the sun). Maybe there's another?
4. Lowes has a plant that has a large white flower on it (almost looks like a really large orchid but it definitely isn't). Maybe a type of plant the flowers?

I attached a photo. You can't see the chain link in the photo because the sun is too bright but you can see the wall and the top bar of the fence.

Thanks for your input!!

Image link: Allow Sunlight thru a Chain Link fence (while concealing)? (27 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here