Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volunteers

Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 11:05

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by 
<BR>PictureTrail.com
I must have had another mind beat skip! Can't seem to get the right codes for posting!These Hollyhocks are offspring from original, planted 2 years ago. Since then all volunteers are different colors and all are healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volunteers

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 10:19

Ooo, love that black one, Pat! I tell ya, I'm addicted to hollyhocks now. I can't believe how easy they are...and I can't believe I waited so long to try them.

Do you find that the volunteers are more likely to appear in regularly watered areas of your garden? I water by hand, so I'm sure that cuts down on some volunteers in my garden.

Brenda

o

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 18:02

Brenda, I think they probably do get regular watering, but I won't swear to it. I'm surprised that anything at all has come up, much less blooming! I just haven't been able to get outside to do even the simplist chores and it shows. In other words everything has gone to hell in a basket! I managed to hack off the top halves of the Mums this a.m. and I'm just wiped out. If anyone in this area needs or wants plants, come see me. Pat

o

Wow, those are some beauties! I have never planted hollyhocks and whenever I see them in gardens, I want some. About what time of the year does one plant the seeds? Thanks.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 9:22

I started mine indoors originally, Eloise, but they can be started outdoors starting in late summer. You might even be able to get a bloom out of them in autumn if you start some now....like my Summer Carnival plants, which bloom the first year from seed.

I have some perennial plants from last year that are getting ready to drop seeds now, which will sit where they fall until (or if...) they sprout next year. They will also put out a repeat bloom in fall if I'm lucky. :)

Brenda

o

• Posted by mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 15:05

The volunteers can produce such interesting colors. I really like the dark one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here