Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last Dahlia...maybe/!

Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 16:51

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
Something is wrong and I haven't a clue as to where to start to solve the problem. This picture in real life is a deep maroon color, but as you can see the color is more bright red. I have replaced the ink cartridges and they test out o.k. I can also run it thru my editing program and adjust the color, but why do I need to do this when the camera is suppose to take a colored pix. Is there a camera setting that I'm neglecting. Probably having one of those old age forgettful moments! Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last Dahlia...maybe/!

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 07 at 9:45

Pat, are you saying your printer isn't printing the color that you're seeing in person? And the color appears washed out in picture stored in the camera, as well?

One thing I noticed right away is that the flash was used on that picture. Flashes really wash out the colors in things, making them appear more lightly colored than they really are. And if the digital pic appears washed out when viewing it from the camera's card (on your computer or in the camera viewing window itself), then it will print out that way.

Another thing that sometimes affects the colors in digital photos is the background or anything in the vicinity that might reflect colors back, i.e., taking a picture through a red metal fence could cause orbs of red light to reflect back onto the subject. But I don't think that's an issue in the pic you posted.

Maybe try taking a pic of the flower in the sun. Or even better, bright shade with no flash required.

Brenda

o

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 07 at 15:37

Brenda, I think you just solved my problem...I found that the flash was on & all the time. I got my bifocals adjusted to the magnifying glass and found the tiny little switch for the flash, turned it off and it seems to work.
I'll wait to really try it out as soon as I find another bloom at the right time of day. Me thinks it's time to re-read all instructions AGAIN! Thanks for the help! Pat

o

Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 9:01

That's great news, Pat! I hope your pics really do come out more true to color. I noticed the same thing with my own pics, that's why I passed on the info. Instructions? Hmmm, where did I put those...? :D

Brenda

o
RE: without flash

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 1:24

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
This was taken without flash, sadly it's the only bloom in the yard today.I'll play some more tomarrow and see if I'm really getting true color.

o

Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 13:28

That looks pretty true to color for a Gazania, Pat. I noticed that my camera (Canon PowerShot A95) doesn't always get the blues and purples right, but that would be a camera issue; not much to be done about that save getting another (better...) camera, unfortunately. :(

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here