Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

In Praise of Asparagus Ferns

hosenemesis
12 years ago

I am a bit contrary. So I love asparagus ferns.

I have four different types: asparagus retrofractus "Ming Fern" is my favorite. It gets HUGE, almost tree-sized. I also grow asparagus setaceus, the vining, climbing one with the wicked thorns. I used to have a whole pergola covered in it- it was heavenly. It reseeds something terrible. I have eight regular Sprenger asparagus ferns, all of them hanging or on tall sticks, because you don't ever want to have to dig one of these up. Finally, I have a few feral foxtail ferns from a bed I changed a long time ago. They have nasty little root bulblets that sprout up again if you don't dig them all up.

I just thought I'd share that with you.

If you don't mind pulling up fern seedlings or hacking back well-armed vines, these might be right up your alley too. They make a yard look lush and green with very little water and no fertilizer. Mockingbirds love the fruit. That is all.

Renee

Comments (7)

• jenn
    12 years ago

LOL Renee. We have a foxtail fern that I keep contained in a pot on the north side of the house with only a little dappled sun. I keep it in the pot because I don't want any of those nasty little root bulblets, and I don't have time to chase down invasive plants. It needs to be repotted into a larger pot which I'll do someday... maybe next year. :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

• bahia
    12 years ago

Renee, I'm with you, I think they definitely have their place in a garden, but so often get a bad rap because some do spread by reseeding, and the dense roots. I also love Asparagus retrofractus as a specimen plant, and use it a lot in garden designs. On the other hand, if people think that Sprenger Asparagus Fern is a pest with all the roots, A. retrofractus is not for the faint of heart!

Here is a link that might be useful: Asparagus retrofractus foliage detail

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

There's a place for Bermuda Grass, too. Just not in my yard. ;^)

• bahia
    12 years ago

I saw some photos of the South African garden at the Denver Botanic Garden that had a cultivar of Cynodon dactylon as part of the garden mixed with succulents and shrubs, and was surprised to see that I actually liked the look. I never would have imagined wanting to use it in a garden setting. I truly feel Asparagus Fern is equally maligned, and would never use it when the owners hate it. It is probably better behaved here in the SF Bay Area, where it doesn't reseed quite as readily, certainly I've not had to get rid of existing plantings because it was taking over the whole garden. With the Sprenger Asparagus, I usually use it in containers more than planted in the ground, which also keeps it under control. There are a lot more species of Asparagus from South Africa that have potential garden merit; I saw quite a few at Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden that I wish we had available here.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Oops, and I just planted two more asparagus ferns, LOL. Well, we'll see if they become bullies or not. And here I thought Microlepia was a thug!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm SO glad you posted this. And it's nice to know that David feels there's a place in a garden for the much maligned Asparagus fern, lol! I have both the Foxtail Fern as well as the "busy" Asparagus retrofractus variety. Both have been very well-behaved in my garden, but probably because they're planted in pretty densely planted areas, making it much harder for them to self-seed or spread. They are being very well-behaved, and add a lovely chartreuse green and lacy appearance to my yard. Now, if I had them out in the open, well then, I probably would be singing a different tune. But for where they are, they look very lovely. And, if I do find a little volunteer here and there, they pull right out. Actually, what I'm dealing with in my yard that is making me a crazy person, is both Red Apple and what I think is Dame's Rocket (or something very similar with a pink flower). Egads. Both are just horrible. I've got most of the Red Apple pulled out, but this self-seeding flower that I think is Dame's Rocket is again, taking over a sizable section of my yard. It is super hard to get to all the teeny little seedlings. I vow NOT to let it go to flower this year, and continue yanking the bloody stuff out. Ugh!!

Patty S.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

Oooh thanks for that A. retrofractus picture, bahia. I just used that in a design that I did and that looks exactly like I was hoping it will. I think the homeowner will really like it.