Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

is it too late to sow sweet peas?

kittymoonbeam
13 years ago

If I sow them now will I still get a nice display before it gets hot?

Do I have to pick the varieties that are labled heat tolerant?

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Yes, you can still plant your sweet peas now, you just won't have as full a display as you would if you planted in the fall :-) You're in my zone, and it probably will not get too hot for your sweet peas. One of the best places to buy them is Renee's Garden. She has lots of great info about sweet peas and no, don't think you need heat tolerant varieties unless you're over 100 consistently in the summer. If you're concerned, try to plant them where they'll get bright shade in the heat of the afternoon. And, snails absolutely love the little sprouts, as do the birds, so try to protect them as they start to emerge.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Sweet Peas - Renee's Garden

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have had gardeners tell me they have given up on sweet peas because they never come up. What really happens is the slugs are there waiting and they are eaten as soon as they break ground. I make it a practice to start baiting for slugs when I plant sweet peas. Al

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Doesn't hurt to try. A package of seeds is only a couple of bucks.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Yup. Slugs and snail LOVE Sweet Peas :-( Definitely bait and also you might want to nick the seeds with nail clippers or soak the seeds overnight before planting, so you have a higher germination rate. And, protect them from birds, too. The birds can be worse than the snails. Same with the rabbits. That's why I don't bother - the rabbits would eat them to the ground overnight where I live.

Patty S.

• dicot
    13 years ago

I only soak for an hour, I think they start to fall apart when fully saturated, but I soak the seeds in 3% peroxide for a minute first. All the cultivars I've tried have been trouble-free, everything else in these beds gets chewed on, but the snap peas remain untouched (until powdery mildew kills them).

{{gwi:503224}}