Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soaht

Anyone successfully grown papaya from seed to fruit in Cen Ca?

soaht
11 years ago

Has any one successfully grown papaya from seeds to fruiting stage in Central Ca, especially in Fresno or the likes? I am currently growing some waimanalo(sp?) that are about 2 inches now. Can I expect to get fruits with in the same year after I plant them in ground this spring and expect the fruits to be tree ripen or will I just get unripe green fruits when winter comes? And are these dwarf, because the description I read online said this is a low bearing type which will bear when it's only 3'-4' but mature plants will reach 10'+? This is my first time growing a papaya plant, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Seng

Comments (9)

• MrClint
    11 years ago

A quick search reveals your chances of success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search: growing papaya from seed zone 9 california

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

The answer is ..no.
    BUT! If you are determined,you can try growing them in the hot sun all summer,then build some kind of coldframe around them,add a small heater. I have read of that being done in the valley. As I recall,he did get ripe fruit. But I think the effort and heating costs was a one year effort.
    And as another post about this jogged my memory,he had TR Hovey papayas. Hard to find.

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mrclint for the link and stanofh I do have a tr hovey also that I got for a cheap price that was very reasonable. I got it from Florida hill nursery for $6.99+shipping. As I understand it was quite hard to get one of these baby when they first were release, but now a lot of nursery carries them. I've also seen them at quite a bit higher price on logees site for about 3x as much, but not sure how big their plant they offer are. Mine was about 12 inches. I don't think I'm going to cover up and just see how they do and if I only get green ones before winter comes, I could just make green papaya salad...yummy(mouth watering). If you might want to try your hands at one for a reasonable price I suggest Florida Hill Nursery or Well Spring Nursery.

11 years ago

This year in Fresno -they are STILL ALIVE??. They took mid 20's??
    wow.

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the confusion stanoh, You might have confuse me with the other guys you were trying to remember with the heat protection in your earlier post. Mine that I mention is still alive and doing well since I haven't planted it in ground yet and still in a pot. Btw i'm the guy who is the op(original poster) of the question. Yup that would definitely be a wowzer if the papaya did get that cold hardy. What I meant was if I do actually get fruit with in the same year as planting and only get unripe papaya by the time winter hit, then i will just make green papaya from those green ones. Sorry to have confuse you Stan.

• Tim Barnard
    5 years ago

These guys do grow in the valley. They will tolerate the cold with a proper microclimate. They won’t survive in an open air environment. Even with dieback on the top (like banana) they will continue to grow. Mature papaya (1 year plus) can even survive the winter with fruit. For proper growing conditions you can view Growing tropicals in Phoenix az, which has the same climate as the cv.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Btw- there is a vid on youtube by vegan athlete of comparing Papaya's in hot,hot,Phoenix. As I recall,Maridol were slowest and shortest over a years time or so ( Same for me in Hayward,Maridol took three years to reach 4'..then rotted in a rainy winter with larger fruit on it. Just not large enough to eat ripe.) And some type he called by its "official" name like ES 32 ( I cant recall exactly) that grew to 20' in two years and had lots of fruit. THAT one is also known as TR Hovey.

I wouldn't count on the same in the valley or bay area..but worth a try if we have a sunny winter and the usual keep frost off it care.

• Tim Barnard
    5 years ago

Phoenix has the same winter lows as Fresno. It’s a pretty similar comparison for zone suitability

5 years ago

Phoenix days average about 10f warmer in winter and much more sun. But,Fresno is worth a try- you got the heat and if you keep 32f off the plant,give it a try. I have been told that TS Harvey and even a Red Caribbean Papaya are better in non tropical climates.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm