Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

What did you lose in the freeze?

Laurel Zito
11 years ago

I did not lose as much as the time when it hailed in San Francisco. On Jan. 7, 2009 I lost Cristo Rey Rhododendron and a hydrangea annabelle. I only seem to have lost a few tiny annuals this time.
{{gwi:503592}}

Comments (23)

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

So far, I think only my basil - all my plants are close to the house so they seem pretty well protected the heat radiates back out at night.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Clivia is all frozen up, but I think it will come back. I may have lose more the I think. Some could look like they will come back, but won't.

• ChaseMercer
    11 years ago

I had to dig up and pot all of my tomato plants. Luckily I have a small green house in my back yard I can keep them in. If I didn't I would have lost them in the low temperature, so I would have to replant them in the spring. Of course I transplanted all of my herbs a well. For all my outdoor foliage I consult a plant care guide to make sure everything I planted in the spring can make it through the winter. If I ended up planting something that will not, I either transplant it and put in in the green house or just leave it and try my luck.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

Some parts of San Francisco were no colder then 41f. Like a Channel Island of the north.
    I doubt anybody saw established plants killed outright in the bay area. Jades plants are still in bloom for Sunset zone 16 and 17.
    Brugmansia's just give the impression of a horrid freeze. And they have a fast regenerative ability.
    No worries until 2018 I guess...

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about other parts of California not just me? I am sure I got down to 37.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

It's a bit early to tell, but I may have lost Salvia 'Aristat"; other than that nothing unexpected has died for me here in Fresno.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

It's a bit early to tell, but I may have lost Salvia 'Aristat"; other than that nothing unexpected has died for me here in Fresno.

• elvie z9CA
    11 years ago

I don't have a thermometer, but there was frost on the ground 2-3 mornings during the freeze.

I covered all vulnerable succulents, or they are sited ok, but I forgot to cover Calandrinia spectabilis and that got damaged.
    I pulled the covers off a day too soon and Aloe Vanbalenii got some damage the final night as well as Agave Tequilliana "Blue Star". Also,Portulacaria afra 'Variegata' got some freeze damage, even though it was covered with light fabirc.

I lost a bunch of Meyer lemons as well, it was the first year I had a decent crop, so now I know to cover it in a freeze if it has a lotta fruit.

The only plants that are definitely dead are a paddle plant and a poorly sited aeonium.

My happy surprise is that Aloe Thraskii had no damage, not even to the flowers, I covered the plant, but did not cover the flowers in case the stem might snap from the weight of the fabric.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My meyer had no lemons at the time, but I would not care if lost a few of them. They have not been very good tasting, but I like the tree because the flowers smell like orange blossom in when it's warm.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

In my part of extreme north west coastal California (Humboldt County) it got down to 28 and that is not cold enough for any losses. During the once in 10 years or so that it gets into the teens we experience a lot of loss, but nothing so far this year.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still Kris, so you have any annual flowers? I am counting those as loses, because if my winter is mild, I can keep some of them for two years.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

A fuschia that was out in the open but had been shaded by a big rose that lost it's foliage. Maybe the whole thing isn't lost but it looks grim now. Half of the little Mexican heather hedge I propagated from cuttings to line my parkway strip. Some branches survived and others outright died. Some of the little heathers have all the branches killed off. I was hoping for a nice looking spring hedge. Somebody said wait and see if new growth sprouts from the dead looking branches and maybe new growth will come from the roots. The bees love this plant and it keeps the dogs from using the strip as a bathroom so I was very happy to see it growing in. Now it looks so sad.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought my fuschia was dead last year, but it came back. If it has a lot of wood, it will come back.

• onederw
    11 years ago

Some surviving torenia Summer Wave Blues that I'd hoped to winter over are looking pathetic. Very crunchy leaves. Ditto some pentas, both tall and dwarf. This has made the hummers unhappy, because they love the little red flowers. It may well be that they will rebound, especially the tall ones that are close to the house, but for now they are brown and unsightly. The impatiens mushed, of course, as did the coleus and the begonia Richmondensis. The fuchsia triphylla Firecrackers are definitely looking fuchsed, at least until they grow new leaves. Like the taller pentas, however, I expect them to recover--unless we get another big cold snap. That might well do them in, especially if they've started to sprout new growth.

Kay

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Tropical thought did you ever find out what that odd dieback on your rose was? I see that I have a cane coming up from the site of where all the canes on my rose died. I had not seen anything but dead wood but never got around to cleaning it out. Then up comes this cane and I didn't notice until this fall. I hope it's not rootstock. Anyway it doesn't look like Dr. Huey to me.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had some problems with Brown canker, but the root stock rose did not have brown canker. I just cut the stem off, and no problems, the rose is still going.

• NorCalNiko
    11 years ago

I had some pretty serious damage on two avocados that I failed to cover for a couple nights. In Ross Valley, Marin, we had major frost every morning for the past 10 days or so.

I think the avocados will make it, but we'll see. They've only been in the ground for about a year.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How do you cover a whole tree? I heard you can't grow them from pits. Those won't make fruits.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

I do not bother with annuals as I am a lazy gardener. I mostly have evergreens and a whole lot of garlic.

• tinyscrafts
    11 years ago

potatoes. Oops

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

My sun parasol starting to train up the trellis is looking pretty unhappy - but I am not sure if it's from the frost or if we just got so much rain it was sogged out. The leaves and stems are yellowing and it just looks sad. Is there anything i can do to help it?

Also 2 lavenders are looking rotten, from the heavy December rain probably more than the frost. I'll probably have to pull them up and replace them.

• jalilu
    11 years ago

Tinan

What killed you lavender is not the rain. These plants grow in Mediterranean sunny areas where it rains a lot. I have some that withstand Tangier�s prolonged winter rainfall. I believe it is probably your soil. Most of lavender varieties prefer well-draining arid alkaline soils, except two varieties which prefer acid soil. In what type of soil do you grow them? Make sure your soil drains well. I would not be surprised that your sun parasol plant problem is caused by poor draining, as I also grow a vine variety.

Good luck,

Jalilu

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tinan, we are not getting rain this year in California. In 2006, we had a march it rained daily and I lost a bunch of stuff. The plants rotted away as the soil was wet all the time.