Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a potting bench?

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 10:38

I'm looking for a potting bench about 5' wide (from end to end) made of cedar. I found a few online, but would love to find one locally if I can. I know I could make one, but we have several other projects going on and don't want another one at this time.

Does anyone know of a local resource for nice potting benches? I'm referring to a table-like structure, like this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have a potting bench?

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 13:42

I have used/use an old desk and an old bathroom vanity from my neighbors remodel with a plywood top added - the cabinets are nice and keep things tidy and rat free :0

o

We remodeled our house (short sale with serious neglect), and replaced all the doors, which were solid oak. Hubby put a few concrete blocks and then a door, then stacked a couple more blocks and another door. He then cut an opening for the old sink. Sweet! I have a potting shelf under our deck with a sink and a nice shelf for potting soil etc.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 10:09

Thank you for your creative ideas!

o

I have an old stainless steel laboratory sink, 6 feet long with a deep sink in the middle, big enough to take a flat of 16 four inch pots, which allows me to water from the bottom. Check salvage yards for something similar. Al

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 10:38

Thank you, Al.

I should mention that this potting bench will be seen through the formal dining room window. Currently the view consists of a grouping of trash cans and garden shed, so we keep the curtains closed. For another spot not seen from this room, I'd consider something hand-made. I love a whimsical rustic look but I think a purchased potting bench will make a more attractive scene through the window -- assuming I keep it tidy and neat. And my husband will be happy too. :-)

o

• Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 14:46

i've got an ancient wood topped iron legged coffee table with the 1921 enamel sink we tore out of our kitchen when we remodeled - set on concrete blocks, and angled so that excess water falls through the drain into a bucket below for reuse. it isn't necessarily pretty though. ;)

where is local for you? this is a nice (though somewhat pricey) store for garden furniture in LA - but not sure where you are located..... but maybe they also ship items?

http://www.pottedstore.com/

o

That one you show on amazon is a good price.I don't think you could make it for that price,by the time you factor in the supplies and your time to build one. Jmo
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here