Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynne3450_gw

purple-ish vine, white flowers, smells like jasmine?

lynne3450
12 years ago

Hi, can anyone help me ID a vine with this description? It's blooming right now in Southern California.

It's got very stringy, delicate stems, leaves and flowers. The color of the stems and leaves as they approach the bloom is a lovely eggplant purple color and the white flowers grow out from a delicate trumpet-shaped stem/neck. The flowers have a smell like jasmine, but I've googled and it's not your typical run of the mill jasmine or plumeria. Could it be "pink jasmine" or "winter jasmine"?

I'm guessing these are NOT native to California?

Thank you!

Lynne

Comments (9)

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Potato Vine / Solanum laxum?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Could it be jasmine polyanthum/Chinese Jasmine? Scroll down to the third photo on this blog for a pic.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine polyanthum

• lynne3450
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YES!

Jasminum polyanthum

I did a little digging and remarks over at Dave's Garden forums seem to indicate that this is a pretty invasive species?

Anyone with experience or remarks on that?

I'm thinking of an Eastern exposure for it....

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

It depends on how much time and energy you have. It has a very short bloom period. It is a rapidly growing vine that can get under roof tiles or in between fence slats, then get thick, ruining the roof, fence, etc.

I got rid of mine because I could not keep up with the pruning. It grew up into a very thick wad at the top of the arbor with a lot of dead material underneath. The sides became bare and woody from the shade, and it was messy. After Wisteria, it is the vine I am most happy to be rid of.

I think potato vine is prettier overall, blooms almost all year, grows a bit less vigorously, but alas, it does not smell.

Renee

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Potato vine has no scent?Hmmm,I was going by the old name of solanum jasminoides and assuming it had a scent. I wouldn't be without the jasminum polyanthum...but I plant it where I want it to go wild. I have several covering bamboo fencing and climbing from there up into an avocado tree and on up, clinging to a citriodora eucalyptus. I've also seen it running wild through a mixed hedge of large shrubs, which I think I'll do also. I'm watching mine now, just waiting for bloom and that wonderful scent...but, no I wouldn't plant it where I'd have to restrain it...lol..

• onederw
    12 years ago

You might also consider jasminum nitidum, aka jasminum magnificum, aka star jasmine, confederate jasmine, angel wing jasmine. Divine scent, just like polyanthum. And not a thug in the garden. Roof tiles much happier. No huge masses of post-bloom brown thatch so beloved to rodentia.

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasminum nitidum images

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

wcgypsy, that sounds beautiful. Wild and wonderful! I wish I had more space.
    Renee

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Renee, you seem to have quite a lot of space and you know you have to be careful what you wish for...lol..as much as you plant, you'd just keep going and going and then there's waaay too much to water and care for. It hurts to take stuff out but I'm doing it now...sigh...

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I had the pink jasmine a few years ago as well.I loved it,and the smell of it.Loved it when it was in bud with those mauve buds,that opened into that pretty pink.Mine was on the west side of the house,and i'm along the coast and it did real well there.

I also have the purple potato vine,that thing blooms here all year long,that is on the south side of the house,also have one in white,it's not as big yet as the purple one.

Right now i have the hardenbergia(purple blooms) and down in front of that is a big patch of pink cobbity daisies,i love that combo.I took some pictures of them monday,havn't uploaded them to the computor yet,will show you when i do.
    Kathi