Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

snaps (photos, Al) from the yard

deep___roots
13 years ago

My snapdragons are almost blooming so maybe next week for photos of those. And hey, I don't know about your neck of the woods, but in the Bay Area the weather is sweet if you like blue skies and 70 degrees. As we wait for the snaps to bloom, we have in the meantime pix of:

Joe Pye weed breaking out the bloom

{{gwi:503861}}

Fava bean sprouts

{{gwi:503862}}

Bergenia in bloom

{{gwi:503863}}

Comments (9)

• bahia
    13 years ago

Agree that the weather has been exceptionally warm, but I don't think your flowering shrub is Joe Pye Weed; more likely Ageratum corymbosum. I am willing to bet you bought it from Annie's Annuals, where I suggested that Annie grow this. Joe Pye doesn't bloom until summer...

• dicot
    13 years ago

Nice photos. All my attention in this warm weather has been on turning the scrap church benches I found in a muddy field into a picnic table. I finally finished this weekend, quite pleased on how this Malaysian lauan wood:

{{gwi:503865}}

became this for around $90 in redwood 2x6s and hardware and not too many curse words:

{{gwi:503867}}

• guavalane
    13 years ago

Dicot, how clever! It is a handsome picnic table.

Speaking of the weather, most of my winter Asian greens bolted in the heat.:(

Penny

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree...I love to recycle good wood. Excellent work!
    Re: the joe pye/ageratum...I'm pretty sure I got it at the UC Berkeley Botanical several years ago..I'm sure the tag said Joe Pye...it is a perennial (ageratum is an annual), very rangy in habit...whatever it is, it is very happy where it is growing and it feels like blooming now no matter when some book says it should bloom, so let's enjoy it, eh?

• bahia
    13 years ago

Not all Ageratums are annuals, Ageratum corymbosum is a perennial evergreen shrub from southern Mexico, and it might be something you could have gotten at a UC Berkeley Botanical Garden sale. It is shrubby with foliage that tends to turn a purplish shade with winter cold, and your flower photo looks nearly identical to how it appears in bloom right now in my garden.

See link:http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/ageratum_corymbosum.htm

I just don't think any of the Joe Pye would be in bloom at this time of year, as they all go deciduous in winter, and in my Berkeley garden haven't even begun to push up new growth yet.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Lovely bench! And I love the flower, whatever it is. Your photos have been extraordinary.
    Renee

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

My snaps are nicely budded but none have opened yet. A few more days of warm sunshine may do it. bahia I tried your link but it was reported as a bad address. I have not made the trip down to Annies in five years, maybe this year for her spring party. Al

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Dicot, that is absolutely beautiful. You are a talented craftsman!

• dicot
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words, it was a simple diagram posted by a Canadian craftsman that I followed for the redwood trusses, then it was pretty simple to slot the 4 church benches in-between the two seats and the top. Here's the link if anyone wants it (there sure are some expensive retail picnic tables out there!).

I still think my patio has a weird lay-out, but at least I feel it's starting to come together in parts.

{{gwi:503224}}

Here is a link that might be useful: picnic table design