Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Helping Clematis look their best year-round

jenn
12 years ago

We have 3 Clematis vines growing next to a large mature Westerland rose. Venosa Violacea on one side, and Minuet with Polish Spirit on the other. These plants require a lot of water and feeding, which I was unable to give them last year while I was working full-time (12-hour days) and tending to other bigger issues.

Yesterday while pruning them, I considered replacing them with CA natives. The Clematis were covered from top to bottom with brown leaves with some new green leaves here and there. The Westerland didn't bloom a lot last year (due to my neglect).

However, I'm retired now and able to devote more time to their care and feeding. I know they require a lot of water but these are special plants, not just dime-a-dozen perennials that I could find at any big-box store.

I'm wondering how those of you in warmer zones treat your type-3 Clematis after the first bloom flush. Mine begin blooming in late spring and continue through summer. After that, what can I do to keep them looking fresh and prevent the "dead vine" look in winter?

Comments (6)

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

Hi Jenn. Although I am in the Bay Area, I find clematis pretty easy. I've heard you're supposed to cut them back in the Spring or early Winter, but I have done that some years and not done it other years...it doesn't seem to matter. I do like to hit them with 0-10-10 over the Winter months. Then I just water once a week Spring through Summer. Have very nice flower displays. I don't know what you can do about the "dead-vine" look.
    Here is jackmanii romping through some old climbing rose. There are other clematis planted in this area but I can't remember which ones...usually the ones available from big-boxes. The President is one. Nelly Moser usually blooms down low in this area too.
    {{gwi:503872}}

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, deep_roots. That is beautiful! I love the color combo.

I'll experiment this year and see if there's any way to prevent it from looking like a dead climbing weed in fall and winter.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

All three of those varieties can be cut back hard all the way to the ground or to the first set of buds and they will resprout and bloom later in the year. You will get earlier blooms if you leave them alone but if you dislike the ratty look and dead leaves you are better off just cutting them back hard.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, I'll try that this year. Fortunately they are not "front and center" but close enough to enjoy their beauty when in bloom and to wonder "what's that weed growing on your fence" when not in bloom. :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I cut mine back to leave four buds per stem. This is the first year I have tried a variety that does well in my climate, and I bought a big one in a 15 gal container instead of wasting my money on bare-root ones yet again. I don't have the skills for bare-root anything. I'll report back on the results this spring.
    Renee

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

If you have any threat of gopher plant your new Clematis in some sort of chicken wire or anti gopher cage. They love the fat juicy Clematis roots.