Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Success with Sugar Snap peas?

homey_bird
10 years ago

Hi,
Happy 2014 to all California gardeners. I am in SF Bay Area and I planted some Sugar Snap peas back in October. The plants are doing really well and seemingly surviving the frost we have had back in December, however, I see no signs of flowering.

This is the first time I planted them in Fall. I typically plant in Spring.

Is it too early to get the pods? Or is there something I am missing? I have not really fertilized them but have supports for them, and they are in a very rich organic soil, in the ground.

If it's early for yield, then when should I expect it? Any tips for great yield will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• greenwitch
    10 years ago

Normally peas don't need fertilizer, they are nitrogen-fixing so make their own so to speak. They will probably flower soon, since it's probably 60 days or so until harvest, right?
    Sometimes I've planted the "winter" garden a little late and the plants "over-winter" until early spring; I think they actually like fall & early spring best and not actual winter months. SoCal planting schedules give August and September as planting dates for cool season veggies, not sure about SF area. For great yield pick the right cultivar, some yield more than others, the tall/pole peas more than the dwarf/bush peas.

• hattichranch
    10 years ago

Happy Gardening to you as well !

Even despite the warm weather, its probably still a little early to worry about blooms on your peas. I don't have any planted this year, but I usually don't see blooms until late February(at the earliest really) on my fall sown peas. Sometimes the first blooms may not show until well into March depending on the year. As was said above, peas tend to poke along slowly during the winter and then go through a sudden massive growth spurt right before flowering. If yor foliage looks good and the plants are slowly increasing in size, don't sweat it yet and just give them some time.

• CathyCA SoCal
    10 years ago

I am in Southern California, started grey sugar peas in mid September and the first pea was mid November, now prolific. I planted Sugar Pod 2 Snow pea in early October and it has some peas now. Also in October planted Oregon giant but it did not do well, plants are stunted.

With patience, I would think that yours will flower soon.

• desert_cat_ca
    10 years ago

I live in the desert in Southern California..I have rotten luck planting in September so i wait till December- January..

• MrClint
    10 years ago

I've applied a "shotgun blast" approach to sugar snap peas the last couple of years. I plant small sections at different times through out the Winter. Some are from nursery starts and some are from seeds. The nursery starts seem to produce earlier/faster, assumed to be due to stress, and the directly sown peas grow larger and produce later in the season. This approach works for me because I trickle in the harvest rather than bring in basket fulls of pods through out the season.

It should be noted that if you ever find yourself overloaded with sugar snaps, they make the best pea soup EVER.

If they are green and growing, just hang in there, you'll start harvesting pods soon enough.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions