Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Suggestions for improving the look of an ugly fence?

peachymomo
12 years ago

Hello again everyone, I'm planning projects for the new year and I've decided that I've got to do something about the ugly fence at the back of my yard. It is beat up old chain link with funky, mostly grey privacy slats, and it had a problem with blackberries invading from next door. We finally broke down and sprayed the blackberries and they are dead, yes - the berries on the other side of the fence died too, and no - the neighbors did not complain.

Now that the blackberries are gone we have a clear view of the ugly fence, I want to plant a privacy screen but it will take time to grow and fill in so I would like to do something to at least lessen the ugliness until then. The three options I've come up with so far all have their pros and cons. And since the fence is 100' long anything we do is going to be a pretty big job, so I'd really like to get it right the first time.

Painting it brown would make it less visually obtrusive, but the fence is in really bad shape and there are lots of dead vines poking through, so it would be a difficult surface to paint and it would probably only look better from a distance.

Covering it with bamboo or reed fencing would block it from sight, but blackberries might come back and mangle the new fence and a friend told us that the metal holding that kind of stuff together rusts away after a couple of years and it ends up looking terrible.

A fast growing vine would give the most attractive cover, but it would require watering and if the blackberries came back it would make it a lot harder to get rid of them. And even if the blackberries didn't come back a fast growing vine is a curse as well as a blessing, once it covered the fence it might end up being even more of a headache than the blackberries.

Right now I'm leaning towards painting, but I'm just not sure it's the right way to go. If the paint won't stick and just peels off it will only make the problem worse. I'm a bit hesitant to power wash the fence because the slats are so old they might not survive it.

Any ideas?

Comments (5)

• buddyben
    12 years ago

vinyl lattice panels?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I would hudson spray-paint it with a flat dark brown acrylic house paint. Reed fencing is too expensive for a temporary solution.

You can plant annual vines like morning glories, that way it won't really matter if you have to spray them with round-up if the blackberries return, and you'll only be out $1.79 worth of seeds. You can also plant hollyhocks, okra, giant imperial larkspur, St. Anne's lace, or other tall annual flowers to temporarily block the view until your shrubs fill in. The morning glories are hard to get rid of once you have them, though- they reseed easily.

Renee

• lindasewandsew
    12 years ago

I drug home fence boards from the curb, painted them and attached them to our chain link fence. This is over a hundred feet of fence. Lots of work, but they don't necessarily need painted before hanging. Some people prefer unpainted wood.

I don't know if this would work to keep out invasive plants. Just an idea. The photos are on the link below. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Covered chain link fence

• Irma_StPete
    12 years ago

You might also consider creating a focal point - for instance, splurging on a single role of reed fencing attached to the fence, placing substantial favorite plant(s) or garden decor in front. In other words, "staging" one area along the fence to draw your eyes to it while the long term solution is in process.

• bahia
    12 years ago

The reed fencing only costs about $25 per 16 foot length at Home Depot. It will last up to 5 years before rotting away, but you'll have to pass small gauge wire through the top edge to help hold it in place. Also, hate to disillusion you, but your battle with the blackberries will need ongoing attention on a regular basis to keep it from coming back. You'll need to keep spraying on a periodic basis, and it also comes back from both the roots as well as dormant seeds. You might also try attaching a thicker landscape fabric on the back side of the fence if your neighbor doesn't mind, this would help with keeping the blackberry vines from pushing through the slats.