Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my bougainvillea dying?

Posted by zagyzebra 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 13:01

I own a property that suffered a large loss fire a few years ago, and all landscaping station timers and electricity running to them were fried. However, the vines kept flourishing. Now, a little more than 2 years later, they are dying. Does anyone have any idea why they would suddenly be dying?

This home is in a Los Angeles area coastal microclimate. Most of the rest of the landscaping miraculously seems to be surviving, if not overpowering the smaller plants (which are dying because they're getting consumed by the stronger ones).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my bougainvillea dying?

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 14:50

Did you get below freezing temps a couple of weeks ago? I know there were freeze warnings all across southern California including at my mom-in-law's who lives near the coast.

Bougainvillea is frost tender and gets heavy damage at very cold temperatures. Some years ago we got snow at my house (I'm close to the mountains) and it killed my bougies.

Large mature plants that are well established can survive and grow back but small ones don't fare so well.

Another possibility is gophers. They killed another of my bougainvillieas.

o

To Dis's comments: I had a Bougie planted in the open, but by a huge rock that offered some protection for the roots and base of the plant. The top died-back almost every winter, but resprouted in the Spring. I suggest you give the Bougie time... maybe until June even... to resprout, and then prune-away what has died over winter.

o

To Dis's comments: I had a Bougie planted in the open, but by a huge rock that offered some protection for the roots and base of the plant. The top died-back almost every winter, but resprouted in the Spring. I suggest you give the Bougie time... maybe until June even... to resprout, and then prune-away what has died over winter.

o

The cold kills them, they could come back, but no guarantees.

o

I suspect it is the cold. However, since the boug has been growing prodiguously for the last 15 years, I am a bit stunned by its sudden setback (I hope) due to a cold snap.

o

I suspect it is the cold. However, since the boug has been growing prodiguously for the last 15 years, I am a bit stunned by its sudden setback (I hope) due to a cold snap.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 11:14

If the roots are well-established you can cut it back hard nearly to the ground and it should all grow back afresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here