Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to cut back leggy daisies (Shasta I think)

Posted by dbaycalif 14 / 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 13:30

I am in the CA Delta region. We moved into this house with sunny side yard and mounded amended-clayey area of daisies already in. They have looked good in season, though are very overgrown, leggy, falling all over, some dead growth underneath. (it's been new growth on top of all the other below) I'm trying to "neaten" it all up for spring, but my husband is very nervous about my 1st attempt at cutting back (radically), so I'm double checking. I heard that you can cut almost to ground & they'll be okay... I certainly don't like the look now but feel it's gardeners' faith you need to have!? Comments from others who've been here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to cut back leggy daisies (Shasta I think)

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 14:36

If they're shastas, cut them to the ground. New growth will only come from the crown of the plant.

If you can post an image, we can help you ID them.

o

Thanks Jean. Here's one photo from this past April, and one today. If I cut them now, any idea how long to be fairly filling an area again? (Note that the photos are on Webshots. I've attached here in forums before but this time couldn't see that option, directly)

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots album, last 2 most recent photos

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 17:50

That looks more like an Osteospermum fruticosum kind of flower. Shasta daisies look like this, more or less:

Shasta daisy

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of Osteospermum fruticosum

o

Yes, I think you're right! Thank you. Well at any rate, they're being cut back - hope they'll come back okay!

o

They should be fine. Keep in mind that they are a cooler weather perennial in your area, and may not show their stuff in the heat. Don't worry, fall comes and they come back well.

o

• Posted by sunnie 9/10 So.Calif. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 19:39

You're hoping you have osteospermum, and it will come back.. believe me it will ! I planted a few about 4 years ago and every year trim it back, but its so invasive that I want to get rid of it and find this is impossible
Thought I had dug it all out last year, but it's coming back thicker than ever. So, I'm digging again ! Anyone else have experiece with this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here