Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant suggestions for Dry Shade?

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 13:46

I'm trying to improve the look of a shady hillside at one of my mother's properties. My first attempt to landscape it failed because deer ate nearly everything, it was my first garden in deer country and it was a hard lesson. Since that failure I've been cross referencing lists of plants for dry shade and list of deer resistant plants and this is what I have come up with:

Pink Winter Currant, Coffeeberry, Australian Fuschia, California Fescue, Fortnight Lily, Douglas Iris, Mexican Daisy, Hummingbird Sage, Thyme.

Any advice on these plants or others that I should add instead? I'm trying to achieve a low-water, low-maintenance, woodland look that is more attractive than the currant weedy mess. I would love to add some ferns, but they tend to be thirsty and I couldn't find any that were listed as deer resistant. I don't know if this information is pertinent but the area is shaded mainly by a chestnut and a black walnut, but there are lots of oaks a littler farther away.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant suggestions for Dry Shade?

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 14:47

Is this property a rental? Dry shade, deer resisitant, spreads, maintenance free...vinca minor / periwinkle. Good for these purposes if you're not using it amongst other small plantings.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 20:35

Acanthus mollis, Asparagus densiflorus sprengeri compacta, Dianella intermedia, Dianella tasmanica, Choisya ternata 'Sundance', Melianthus major, Euphorbia characias wulfenii, are a few plants that are both good in dry shade and deer resistant. Don't expect any of these to look great year round without some summer irrigation the first couple of years.

o

The only two natives I am really familiar with are the iris and the sage. If it is coastal, douglas iris can be grown from seed so that they are not so expensive. Hummingbird sage will fill in large areas. Neither are weed-blockers, though.
Renee

o

Thanks everyone! It is a rental, but the renters and neighbors are friends. I plan on installing a drip irrigation system to water the new plants at least until they are established, and depending on how they look they might continue to get occasional summer water. I was hoping that an asparagus fern would make it on to the list, yay!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 0:50

Hellebores are very nice. If you know anyone with a Hellebore, they usually have seedlings to share.

o

My favorites! Asparagus ferns would propagate nicely under those conditions.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here