Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

Planting Native Garden - Hiding awkward stage?

Hi all,

I'm working on landscaping the front of my little cottage in Atwater Village in LA - and using only natives, mostly from Theodore Payne - two kinds of Ceanothus, several kinds of buckwheats, a fuschia, a lupine, and others....

I got some of the free city mulch - and now thinking it will be too rich for these plants - and having a hard time getting a good answer as far as what I can put on the bare dirt to keep it from blowing into my house so I won't feel like I live in the Dust Bowl like my granny - last summer was crazy!!

So it's sort of a mulch question - or maybe a groundcover question - or an erosion question - ? It seems like I should mulch around the plants later in the year as it gets warm - but what to do about the aesthetic/dust bowl problem between the plants as I wait for them to fill in?

Perhaps bark is the right idea? - if so, is it important that it's redwood? what about decomposed granite to keep things tidy and keep the dust down?

Any advice much appreciated!!!!!

slowjane
los angeles, atwater village 90039

Comments (9)

• paleogardener
    10 years ago

Natives are a journey & those that plant them are appreciated by the Mother. As long as city mulch you have down is 3 or more inches away from the crown you are probably fine.
    I would remove it only if:

If you have access to oak leaves - California natives love oak leaves. Shred them and use this as the mulch. Again keeping it 3 or more inches away from the crown so they can breath.
    Or
    Rocks. A biggish rock or 3 on the hottest side of the plant, 6 to 8 inches away from the base. This creates a moist shadow in the soil that they will send feeder roots into & draw from in the hottest part of the summer.
    Good luck.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

If you go look around a native area there is mulch-like material on the surface, fallen leaves and so forth. Mulch is not a problem.

• nil13
    10 years ago

The mulch from the city is just fine for those natives, just keep the crowns clear.

• lynne3450
    10 years ago

your selections from Theodore Payne sound LOVELY!!

when we planted our native garden here in LA we used city mulch to start, 3-4" thick, but kept the mulch away from the crown of the plant (where the plant goes into the ground) and it worked out fine. 1-2 years later we got beautiful Sycamore tree mulch from a tree trimming company and used that to supplement and replace the older mulch. And it was FREE-- tree trimmers have to pay to dump their mulched up trimmings, so they're happy to deliver to you and get it of their hands. Just make sure you work w a reputable tree trimmer so you know what you're getting (not a diseased tree or something).

• CAManzanita
    10 years ago

Just reiterating what everyone else basically said: natives will take some times to get established (but you'll be so happy when they do). Some people like to plant fillers, like annuals, as previously said, or other short-lived plants, like Gambelia (aka Galvezia) or Acmispon, to temporarily fill it in. There's a lot more choices out there.

Really glad to see another California native gardener :)

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! Glad I didn't sweep the mulch back into the green bin. ;) Thanks for the recommendations. The folks at Theodore Payne mentioned planting wildflowers so perhaps I will clear away some spots and throw some of my Shady Mix down for a little color in the meantime.

Thanks for your help as I navigate the waters of native gardening for the first time!!

• kelpmermaid
    10 years ago

Wildflowers are good, it's true. There is a saying about the growth of natives: first year, they sleep, 2nd they creep, third year they leap. Be patient!

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay - theodore payne's shady mix planted...fingers crossed...;)