Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will My Poor Bouganvilla Make a Comeback?

Posted by Evelyn256 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 14:16

This bougy was gorgeous this past summer (I am in Zone 9, near Temecula, Ca), but a freeze left it looking like this. Do you recommend I cut it back, or should I leave it alone and hope for the best? I was just getting it to spill over the wall to be seen by front of house. Next year I'll be sure to throw a sheet over it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will My Poor Bouganvilla Make a Comeback?

The bougainvilleas and hibiscus here look the same! We'll probably have another cold snap so I would leave as is until late Feb. Don't want to encourage new tender growth.

This year I used towels over my Gerberas and they look great. Wish I'd remembered to protect the geraniums :-(

o

I'm betting she'll be fine after you cute her back. I once snapped mine off at the roots and she is trying to eat the entire house again.

o

One of mine in the front yard looks almost like yours,however one in the backyard where it really gets the ocean/canyon breeze is blooming like crazy.
Kathi

o

I'd leave it until it starts to bud out. Sometimes ours would die back to the ground and other times sprout out all along the whole long stem.

Covering it might not have helped. Bougies are really cold sensitive.

o

I'm 20 miles north of you in Juniper Flats (Nuevo). Our bugy dies back each winter and comes back each spring. Take the first frost as an opportunity to perform the year's severe pruning. If the bugy doesn't fit an evergreen desire, replace it.

o

Thanks everyone. I'll wait until Feb. to do any trimming. I can already see new growth at the base--yippee! This is the way it looked pre-frost...I love these lusty plants.

o

Wow,that's a beauty.
Kathi

o

Should be fine. My bougainvillea is about 30 years old and I can NOT kill it. I keep it trimmed to a square/rectangle shape (walkway on one side, deck/sitting area on the other) and it is always over growing. I can trim it and a week later it looks like I did nothing haha.

Oh and I'm about 20 miles or so from you if that makes a difference :)

o

Evelyn,how's your bougainvillea doing.I trimmed mine back some and it's in flower and looking very good again.
kathi

o

here's mine

photo DSCF0573.jpg

Pinky-red in lower back yard

photo DSCF0555.jpg

Kathi

o

Hi, Kathi - So so pretty! I trimmed my back a bit, and it is putting out new green at the base. If the temp goes back to the 30's, I'll throw a sheet over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here